Some TMNT stuff was always meant for grownups.
- Hamato Splinter
- April O'Neil
- Utroms (Debut)
In this issue, the turtles return to their sewer lair to find their home badly damaged, littered with broken Mousers, and Splinter missing. They call the only person who they know that might help them... April! She shows up in a van, and a wild car chase ensues when the police mistakenly think that April's vehicle was the one used in a recent robbery. As luck would have it, the chase leads the cops to the actual robbers in their van... which looks exactly like April's vehicle! O'Neil and the turtles make their escape and head for her apartment to rest and make plans to find Splinter.
Meanwhile, Splinter takes a serious blow to the head while battling the Mousers in the sewer. Just as the rabid robots are about to make mouse meat out of the Sensei, they mysteriously march off in another direction. Splinter, dazed and nearly unconscious, takes this opportunity to escape by crawling into the tepid waters of the sewer system. The Master is discovered by two human guards, who take him to the TCRI laboratories. At the hi-tech facilities, Splinter discovers that the humans that work there are actually small alien creatures that utilize humanoid robotic bodies to disguise themselves.
- Carter from the 1987 TV series looks very much like the human on the cover.
- This issue featured the first appearance of the Utroms, the precursors to what would become Krang in the 1987 TV series.
- This story is continued from TMNT (Vol. 1) #2. The story continues in Raphael (microseries) #1.
- The first sewer lair will be revisited in TMNT (Vol. 1) #19.
- The second printing of this comic (November 1988) featured a new cover by Peter Laird and Jim Lawson, redone lettering by Steve Lavigne, a bonus pin-up by Bernie Shuman and a new back-up story, Complete Carnage an’ Radical.
- For the color TPB, TMNT Book II published by First Comics, the epilogue to this issue was changed to a prologue for TMNT (Vol. 1) #4 (this issue having actually been collected in their TMNT Book I TPB).
- 2nd printing, with added back-up story "Complete Carnage an' Radical" (November 1988)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Book I, in color.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Collected Book 1
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection Volume 1
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Color Classics: The Works Volume 1