|“State of Shock”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Written by||David Wise|
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1994 Season|
List of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episodes
"State of Shock" is episode #173 from the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series.
After defeating a mysterious group of ninjas at the Emeryville Power Station, the Ninja Turtles decode part of a map that they were able to liberate from the would-be thieves. Unfortunately, the only words they can make out are: "EMERYVILLE" and "GREEN POWER".
The Turtles rush into action. But before they can make it out of the sewers, they are attacked by Colonel Wesley Knight of the U.S. Armed Forces and his elite group of soldiers, a special unit created to hunt down the TMNT. However, the Turtles escape, proving to be more than Colonel Knight had expected. As they make their getaway, the TMNT see the name DARK WATER stenciled on Colonel Knight's hi-tech equipment.
April tells the Turtles that Dark Water is a top secret organization, training top commandos and creating super hi-tech military equipment. The TMNT ask her to continue checking them out while they pursue the mysterious ninjas who have just broken into the Green Power building.
The Turtles follow the ninjas to an abandoned aircraft hangar and spy the ninjas leader, a character known as Megavolt. The TMNT realize that he is too powerful to be defeated and decide to try a new strategy, they waltz into his lair and volunteer to join his ranks. After a fight he accepts their enlistment.
The Turtles and MegaVolt's ninjas break into the D W Furniture store. It seems that in the back room is an unguarded hi-tech lab holding a highly concentrated form of energy.
The Turtles do not like what they are doing but they realize that this is the best way to learn what MegaVolt is up to.
When they exit the building the are confronted, not only by Colonel Knight and his troops but by April and her mini-cam. April has captured it all on tape, the Turtles are criminals! She's deeply conflicted by this knowledge, and initially rejects them when they ask for further help.
Back in MegaVolt's secret hideout, he reveals that his name is Alex Winter, and he's seeking revenge for having been horribly mutilated. He uses the highly concentrated form of energy and transforms himself into a giant electrified robotic insect and heads into the City.
The Turtles try to pursue, but are instead arrested by Colonel Knight. They try to convince him that they are innocent and that Alex Winter/MegaVolt is the guilty party, but Knight tells them that Alex Winter was a hero and the greatest agent Dark Water has ever had. He refuses to listen further to their testimony until April shows him some documentation on an "ultimate soldier" program that Winter was part of, which gave him his electrical powers. This finally convinces Knight to side with the Turtles.
Megavolt heads to a Dark Water lab and sets a bomb to go off in four minutes. Dark Water and the Turtles arrive, but the army division is helpless against Megavolt's attacks. Donatello rushes in to dispose of the bomb safely, while Leonardo manages to disrupt Megavolt's power by dousing him in water and cutting off the controls of his electrical suit.
With Winter under arrest, Knight promises to help the Turtles in the future.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Irma (Jennifer Darling)
- Megavolt (Tony Jay)
- Wesley Knight (Kevin Schon)
- Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 8
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- Megavolt's ninjas outfits are identical to the ones worn by Splinter, Shredder and Lafayette Le Drone in Sword of Yurikawa.
- When the Turtles defeat the ninjas at start of the episode and leave in the Turtle Van, the lettering on the front of the van is green instead of white.
- When Raphael tells MegaVolt that they'll prove they're the city's most notorious criminals by defeating a team of his best ninjas, he speaks with Leonardo's voice.
- While the Turtles speak to Megavolt, Raphael has only one of his sai, but when Megavolt attacks them, he has both of them.
- Before Megavolt says "Now for the coup de grâce", Leonardo has one of his katana drawn. After Megavolt speaks, he redraws his katana.
- Before the Turtles break into the DW Furniture Company with Megavolt's ninjas, Leonardo is holding one of his katana. They both disappear in the next shot, only to reappear once they're inside, then disappear again when April tries to call them.
- The Turtles' weapons are broken during their first battle with Megavolt, but Donatello has his bo staff again as they leave the police station.
- Leonardo also reacquires both of his katana while he and Raphael distract Megavolt at the weapons lab.
- As the Turtles arrive at the weapons lab to stop Megavolt, the lettering on the front of the Turtle Van says "TURTLE" instead of "TURTLES".
- As Donatello and Michelangelo get ready to load Megavolt's explosive device into the Turtle Van, the lettering on the front of the van is green again.