Raphael is large and muscular, with bright green skin, a yellow-orange plastron with a jagged top edge and a spiked dark green carapace. He also has small spikes protruding from his shoulders, black eyes, a small sharp tooth hanging from his upper right jaw, three fingers on each hand and two toes on each foot. His physical profile is similar to various versions of Slash, most versions of whom are also snapping turtles.
Raph wears a red mask that covers the top of his head (with long jagged mask tails about the same length as Leo's), red elbow pads with a large spike at the joint, off-white bandages around his wrists, hands and ankles, and small bandages on his right side of his plastron and left forearm. He also wears red boxer-briefs and a red belt with a turtle emblem.
Raph is a rowdy and free spirited character. He chooses to act first and think later when confronted by enemies. He's also extremely sensitive as he isn't willing to say the wrong hurtful things, such as not liking the inventions Donnie provided to his brothers in "Donnie's Gifts" or his childish fear of Mrs. Cuddles.
Raph is shown to have a soft spot for his brothers and animals (such as Mayhem). He does have a mature side and can put his team in line when things crazy despite his crazy decisions. He's always making decisions (some of which can be boneheaded), but in good intent and hopes for the team. He is also very protective, as he does care for his brothers, but to a certain extent that may feel overbearing.
Raph is also shown to snap in certain situations, sometimes when he argues with motormouth Leo. In some cases, it is from annoyance or if things don't go his way. In "Sparring Partner", Raph is quite empathetic as seen when he apologize to Frankenfoot for hurting his feelings. He's willing to protect him from anyone to show his protective side
Like his brothers, Raphael began his life as a baby turtle in Baron Draxum's laboratory. Wishing to make mutant soldiers, the Baron used Lou Jitsu's DNA to mutate Raphael into an anthropomorphic Turtle. He was taken from the lab by Lou Jitsu, along with his brothers.
As the biggest and oldest brother, Raphael is the self-appointed leader of the group. He thinks he can use his fists to get himself out of any situation. But while Raph's muscles are bigger than his brain, his heart is bigger than his muscles.
- Strength (Due To Mutation & Species)
- Speed (Due To Mutation)
- Smash-jutsu (Tonfas)
- Leonardo: Raph and Leo have a mixed relationship. They usually get along but sometimes they would butt heads, whether it is over wrestling or Raph's leadership skills.
- Donatello: Raph and Donnie have a unique relationship. Donnie finds Raph a bit crazy, but he loves him all the same, and respects him. Raph treats him very gently and has trouble telling him off (as shown in Donnie's Gifts), which may spoil Donny a bit.
- Michelangelo: Raph really cares about Mikey, so is his other brothers. He can also be a little overprotective around him, (as shown in Hot Soup:The game).
- Splinter: The mutant rat who raised Raphael along with his brothers and taught them ninjutsu. Raphael calls him "Pop." Since discovering that Lou Jitsu is the biological father of his human genes, Raph still honors Splinter as the father who actually raised him. He was shocked to learn Splinter was Lou Jitsu.
- April O'Neil:
- Frankenfoot: Had created him at some point to have the perfect sparring partner. Refers to him as "Buddy"
- Baron Draxum:
- Meat Sweats:
- Warren Stone:
- Foot Clan:
- Ghostbear: Originally, Raph idolized Ghostbear. However, after the wrestler revealed that he cheated to get his winning streak, Raph now hates him, especially after the wrestler threatens Leo for breaking his "winning" streak.
- Mrs. Cuddles: At first, Raph has a common fear of the "kid-friendly" mascot, but it wasn't until the events of her titular episode where Raph faces his fear. Upon discovering her kidnapping of his brothers and April, Raph even calls her out as a bully.
- Big Mama:
- “Go big or go home!”
- "You think you're going to step to our friend? Rookie mistake, hoss."
- "Stop talking about my fear stink!"
- "You're flying too close to the bull, and you're gonna get stung." - To Leo during Shell in The Cell
- "If I’ve learned anything from Jupiter Jim movies, glowing green usually equals bad." - Watching the Oozequitoes
- "Smash and Bash!"
- "You know I can't watch this, guys!" - Mrs. Cuddles
- "HOT SOUP!!!" (Catchphrase)
- "Jumping Jack Flash!!!"
- In the 2018 series, each one of the Turtles comes from a different turtle subspecies.
- As a snapping turtle, Raphael is sensibly the largest turtle, with a large mouth to match his species (though unlike Raphael, real snapping turtles lack spikes and teeth and they have long tails).
- Additionally, his attack first approach matches the real snapper's defense: a pain attack on the enemy.
- Unlike previous incarnations of the Turtles, this version of Raphael is both the oldest turtle and the leader of the team, instead of Leonardo.
- His weapon of choice is the tonfā instead of his usual weapon, the sai. Raph is also seen using a pair of Sai during early events of "Mystic Mayhem", but breaks them before switching to the tonfa.
- If the lyrics to the song Turtle Power is considered, this is the second time Raphael is the leader of the Turtles.
- This version of Raphael is not the first to wield tonfās or wear a headscarf instead of a headband. The first such appearance of either was in the 1986 Mirage TMNT story The Passing, which takes place when the Mirage Turtles are still preteens in ninja training, all wearing headscarves, and Raphael's primary weapons were tonfās rather than the sais he would wield later on.
- Raph and Leo have a brotherly rivalry, much like other incarnations.
- When describing his leadership role on a live stream, Raph was described as the "reactionary-type leader".
- According to a behind the scenes video, the only reason that Raph is the leader is because he is the oldest.
- Raph is also considered to be a "figure it out as he goes" type of leader.
- In "Mystic Mayhem", it is revealed that Raph chokes under pressure and that he's even more, self-conscious when someone talks about it.
- In addition to choking under pressure, he is seen doing just that in "Sparring Partner".
- In "Donnie's Gifts", he confesses he is terrible at planning, which is another reason he might not be fit to be the leader.
- Donnie reveals in "Mascot Melee", that Raph is allergic to peanuts.
- Raph's usual surprise exclamation, "Jumpin' Jack Flash!", may be a reference to the Rolling Stones' song of the same name or the 1986 movie starring Whoopi Goldberg.
- Raph's signature catch phrase in this series is "Hot soup!".
- It is also the same famous catch phrase used by Lou Jitsu.
- A running gag is whenever Raph is on the phone with his younger brothers, he gives out a gentle baby talk voice.
- As mentioned in "Mind Meld", Raph apparently has a social media account.