|“Planet of the Turtles”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 Cartoon) episode|
|Original airdate||September 20, 1990|
|Written by||George Shea|
|Supervising Producer||Fred Wolf|
Planet of the Turtles is a season 4 episode of the 1987-1996 series.
The Turtles must save the Earth from a massive energy drain and its Apocalyptic result by traveling to another planet where turtles are the dominant species.
Earth is experiencing some kind of atmospheric disturbance which allows the Turtles to view TV shows from other worlds. They are tuning into a wrestling match from Planet of the Turtles, where the Flying Turtlenecker Brothers defeat smaller opponents.
Dimension X is experiencing the same type of disturbance, which allows Krang to watch the same show. On a commercial break, Krang sees Rupert, a turtle pitchman, selling a personal energy projector. Krang thinks he can use this projector to draw energy from Earth to power the Technodrome. He sends Shredder to the Planet of the Turtles to retrieve the projector. Shredder gets chased by Rupert and the Turtlenecker Brothers back through the portal to Dimension X as he tries to steal the projector. With the Turtlenecker Brothers stuck in Dimension X, Krang convinces them to go and capture the Turtles. He sends them to the sewers through a dimensional portal and they capture the Turtles, bringing them back to the Technodrome. April happens to be with the Turtles and radios Splinter as soon as they disappear. Splinter gets there just in time and he and April enter the portal just before it closes.
In the Technodrome, Krang has set up the projector and drained almost all of the energy from Earth. The Turtles realize they have to come up with a way to stop Krang. Splinter and April rescue them and they split up. Donatello and Rupert are sent to the Planet of the Turtles to look for Dr. Turtlestein, the inventor of the projector, to see if he knows of a way to stop it. Splinter, April, and the rest of the Turtles stay in the Technodrome to try and stop Krang. Donatello and Rupert come back just in time with a portable transporter and reverse the effects of the projector, sending the energy back to Earth. Dr. Turtlestein uses the transporter to send the Turtles, Splinter and April back to Earth.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Dalton Dumpski (Townsend Coleman) (debut)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Turtle wrestling announcer (Barry Gordon) (debut)
- Rupert (Townsend Coleman) (debut)
- Hans (Pat Fraley) (debut)
- Fitz (Townsend Coleman) (debut)
- Dr. Turtlestein (Peter Renaday) (debut)
- Turtle cab driver (Pat Fraley) (debut)
- Speedy turtle cafe vendor (James Avery) (debut)
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Planet of the Turtles
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 4
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- Shredder's boots flashed to light grey and back when he slipped on the glue on the floor when battling Splinter.
- As the Turtle Wrestlers enter the sewers through a portal, Leonardo speaks in Michelangelo's voice.
- When Splinter and April are carrying the Foot Soldiers' protective suits with them, they are not seen carrying the helmets.
- Donatello is seen with Michelangelo's colors when Splinter opens the refrigerator at the end of the episode.
- Bebop and Rocksteady do not appear in this episode. Interestingly enough, their roles appear to have been filled in by Hans and Fitz.
- It isn't shown how April and Splinter got back to Earth, or what happened to Rupert, Hans, Fitz, or Dr. Turtlestein. Though it's presumed Dr. Turtlestein sent everyone back to their homes.
- One of the components of the personal energy projector mentioned is the Flux Capacitor which is based on a component of the same name from the Back to the Future trilogy which allowed the DeLorean and Jules Verne Train to travel through time.
- Raphael broke the 4th wall by saying "and to think I used to like sports"
- Raphael broke the 4th wall by saying "excuse me, did you folks at home get that?"
- Krang broke the 4th wall by saying "I'm not sticking around for the climax of this show"