|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012 TV series) episode|
|Original airdate||December 30, 2016 (South Korea)|
February 26, 2017 (USA)
|Written by||Brandon Auman|
|Directed by||Rie Koga|
|Voice Direction||Andrea Romano|
|Supervising Director||Ben Jones & Ciro Nieli|
"Owari" is the twenty-sixth episode of the fourth season of the 2012 TV series, the one-hundred and fourth episode overall in the series, and is also the Season 4 finale. It first aired on February 26th, 2017.
With Splinter defeated, the Turtles realize they must stop Shredder and end this conflict once and for all.
- April O'Neil (Mae Whitman)
- Casey Jones (Josh Peck)
- Donatello (Rob Paulsen)
- Leonardo (Seth Green)
- Michelangelo (Greg Cipes)
- Raphael (Sean Astin)
- Splinter (spirit) (Hoon Lee)
- Super Shredder (Kevin Michael Richardson) (death)
- Baxter Stockman/Stockman-Fly (Phil LaMarr) (retro-mutates)
- Bebop (J.B. Smoove)
- Chompy Picasso
- Dr. Cluckingsworth
- Elite Footbots
- Fishface (Christian Lanz)
- Ice Cream Kitty
- Karai (Kelly Hu)
- Kirby O'Neil
- Mighty Mutanimals
- Rocksteady (Fred Tatasciore)
- Tiger Claw (Eric Bauza)
At the farmhouse in the woods where the Turtles, April, and Casey had retreated to back during the Kraang invasion in the Season 3 premiere, they, alongside Shinigami, the Mutanimals (sans Mondo Gecko), Kirby, and other friends and allies, pay their final respects at Splinter's grave. Then, one by one, everyone walks away excluding the four Turtles. Leo is the last one to leave.
Wandering alone in the woods near the farmhouse, Leo is calmly meditating at a riverbank. The wind whistles, and he has a vision of Splinter's spirit who gives him some words of wisdom from beyond the grave, such as what happens after death, his immortal spirit continuing to live on, encouraging him to step up to become the new sensei as he is needed by his brothers and Karai before informing him that the Super Shredder is alive and still out there, encouraging him to destroy the Super Shredder once and for all, no matter what it takes, to ensure he is no longer a threat. After some thought, Leo is initially iffy as Splinter's spirit slips away. As the wind whistles again, Leo watches some flower petals fly over his head and soar up towards the shining sun breaking through the clouds, before putting on his empty, white eyes. Mustering up some courage, Leo decides Shredder's reign of terror ends now.
Returning back to NYC, the Turtles visit Karai at the hospital. She's suffered numerous cuts, bruises, abrasions, and has a broken arm cast in a sling with her face bandaged but will recover soon. As the Turtles ask for her help to take down Super Shredder for good, she provides them the location of Super Shredder's hideout, knowing they will take him down and avenge their father's murder. Before leaving, Karai holds hands with Leonardo, and in a weak (but genuine) voice, she tells her younger adoptive brother that she will always believe in him.
Back in their lair, the Turtles, April, and Casey suit up for battle, and with a cry of "BOOYAKASHA", they head for Super Shredder's hideout.
After avoiding the various surveillance cameras and booby traps, the Turtles eliminate the Foot-bot defenses, before being confronted by Elite Foot-bots, who soon trap them on a cliff before pushing them into the water to fight them there alongside Fishface. However, April is able to get Fishface on shore, where Raphael destroys his legs and removes his breathing apparatus, leaving him to suffocate as they head back to Shredder's hideout.
Once inside, they don't find Shredder in his room but find Stockman-Fly who proclaims Super Shredder is unstoppable before Mikey tosses one of Donnie's Retro Mutagen Light Bulbs to the fly and he becomes human again. Despite that, Baxter was mad because he did like to be a fly before Mikey puts him unconscious. Donnie scolds Mikey for using the Retro Mutagen because they need it if they want to turn Shredder human again. They head to next room where Bebop and Rocksteady use a lot of weapons to attack them but Donnie manages to turn their own system and weapons against them. Next room ,they find Tiger Claw, now sporting an interchangeable prosthetic hand to replace the one Alopex chopped off previously. Tiger Claw gets the advantage but after telling the Turtles are useless without their master now, he gets overpowered by Leonardo and almost surrenders but activates a trapdoor which takes the Turtles, April and Casey to a bunch of tigers but the gang escapes and Leo uses his arrows to damage Tiger Claw's jetpack before he and his team face Super Shredder himself.
The mutant tosses down a couple of Molotov Cocktails to separate Casey and April from the Turtles. As the Turtles prepare to do battle with him, Super Shredder flings off his tattered cape and engages them personally.
Despite their best efforts, and not even Donnie's remaining vial of retro-mutagen having any effect on reverting Super Shredder to normal, Raphael, Mikey, and Donnie are soon separated from Leo, who faces Shredder alone. At one point, Leo tries to reason with Shredder, trying to convince him he's become a demon, a monster. As Saki hesitates and takes Leo's words into consideration, Leo tries to attack again, but Shredder overpowers him, twisting the terrapin's arm and the second katana plummets into a pit. The Super Shredder flings Leo to the edge of the rooftop and prepares to finish him off once and for all and join Splinter in death. Exhausted, Leo prepares to die. However, at the last minute, Splinter's spirit reappears and reminds his son to finish what he came for. Remembering what Splinter's vision told him, Leo musters up some courage, avoids the ending blow, retrieves one of his katanas, and delivers a powerful fatal strike at Super Shredder. Below, the rest of the Turtles, April, and Casey wait, fearing for Leo's life, before Leo appears, injured, but holding the mutated Kuro Kabuto, declaring that the Super Shredder is finished as he tosses it to the ground.
Back in Manhattan, during daytime, Leonardo and Karai sit on a rooftop overlooking the city. Leo apologizes to Karai for his irresponsible carelessness, which lead to Splinter's tragic death. But Karai assures him that Leo has nothing to be sorry for, and kindly commends him for accomplishing the near-impossible. With Shredder finally dead for good and Splinter successfully avenged, the Turtles, April, Casey, and Karai sit on a rooftop, relieved that Shredder's threat is gone for good, but know that Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady, and many other bad guys are still out there, waiting to fill the gap that the Shredder's demise has left behind, but know that they will be ready for them, since Splinter is still there with them, and will continue to remain in their hearts forever... in spirit.
- "Owari" (終わり) translates as "The End" in Japanese. This episode concludes the "City at War" arc (second half of Season 4), and with Leonardo killing Shredder, symbolized by not only his death, but the end of the feud between the Hamato Clan and the Foot Clan.
- Leonardo once again uses his costume as seen in the episode "Broken Foot" (with his black bandana, O-katanas and spiky, body armor). Now, his three brothers also wear black bandanas, face paint, and spiky body armor in a similar manner.
- When Super Shredder appears, he throws Molotov Cocktails that set his mansion on fire and separate the Turtles from April and Casey, leaving them to face Shredder alone on the roof. The fire also prevents Donnie from rejoining the fight when he gets knocked off the roof.
- For the "City at War" arc and the fourth season, this is the grand finale.
- According to Brandon Auman, this episode (and the Kavaxas quadrilogy (first 4 episodes of Season 5, which is a direct continuation) is the true series finale and the canon ending, while the fifth and final season contains side stories.
- This episode marks the first time since "Beyond the Known Universe" where April is seen in her regular outfit rather than her space suit and kunoichi jumpsuit.
- Aside from the Ice Cream Kitty music video, This is the last time April is seen wearing her regular outfit.
- This episode marks the final appearance of Baxter Stockman, the Foot-Bots, the Elite Footbots, Pigeon Pete, Dr. Tyler Rockwell, Dr. Cluckingsworth, and Kirby O'Neil.
- This is the last episode in the series to use the regular theme song. It is also the last episode with animation produced by CGCG.
- In the climax of the final battle, Leonardo musters up enough courage to behead the Super Shredder's head, (no blood) finally slaying him and successfully avenging Splinter's death, which is a reference to the Mirage comic issue #21, where Leo sliced Shredder's head off. The manner in which Shredder dies, decapitation, resembles his second death in the original comics and one of the attempts to kill him in the 2003 series.
- Ciro Nieli has posted on his Instagram of the original image where Leo has sliced the Super Shredder's head off, with blood splatters and the line where Leo's blade cut through Super Shredder's neck. The shot in the episode did not include those bloody details because it would have been "too violent and gory" (especially for Nickelodeon standards). And when Leonardo finally defeats and kills the Super Shredder by slicing off his head, there is no blood is seen around Shredder's neck, but a discretion shot of blood flying off of Leo's sword can be seen after he strikes.
- Originally, Super Shredder's decapitation in the season four finale would have been more obvious, with a very thin gap between the head and torso in the black-and-white shot. According to Ciro Nieli on Instagram, Nickelodeon caught the gory detail and censored the gap in all showings of the episode.
Leonardo: Shredder...is finished!