Some TMNT stuff really isn't for little kids.
The text on this article or article portion isn't quite up to snuff. Do you have what it takes to make it work?
The Shredder is the main antagonist of the 2014 live-action film and the supreme leader of the Foot Clan and the secondary antagonist of its 2016 sequel Out of the Shadows. He wears a robotic samurai suit that makes him look very intimidating with magnetically retractable blades, which he can shoot against his opponents in the first film.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early Life
- 1.2 Present Day and Terrorizing New York City
- 1.3 Activation with Sacks and Getting the New Armor Suit
- 1.4 First Confrontation with The Turtles and Battling Splinter
- 1.5 Battling with Raphael and Escape of The Turtles
- 1.6 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
- 2 Trivia
- 3 Gallery
Shredder's real name is Oroku Saki (as revealed in his criminal record during Out of the Shadows). He is also shown to have scars on his face like in some other incarnations. However it is not revealed how he got them. Eric Sacks, his second-in-command, is his adopted student and the creator of his armor.
Little is known about the Shredder's history except that he was born on April 15, 1967, he raised Eric Sacks in Japan after Sacks' father died in Vietnam War, and he is a skilled and ruthless warrior.
Present Day and Terrorizing New York City
He is the supreme leader of his own army, the Foot Clan, and he lives with them in an unknown place in New York City, from which he terrorizes the entire city.
Activation with Sacks and Getting the New Armor Suit
He is actually acting with Sacks to defeat the Ninja Turtles and to take from them the Mutagen, a special radioactive material that created Splinter, his arch-nemesis, and Splinter's sons The Turtles. Later, Sacks tells to his master that The Turtles from Sacks' former days are still alive and living as mutated and big muscular and powerful turtles and they are need to take their mutagen blood to carry out their plan to rule over the entire city. Therefore, Sacks creates and builds for Shredder a powerful, scary and big robotic samurai suit armed with retractable blades and that gives him unlimited powerful superhuman strength and makes him more a stronger martial artist that he can ever be.
First Confrontation with The Turtles and Battling Splinter
After April O'Neil confides with Sacks the existence of the Turtles, the Shredder learns of the Turtles by proxy. He arrives at the Turtles' lair and easily defeats them before engaging Master Splinter. With Splinter defeated, the Shredder captures the Turtles (sans Raphael) and takes his leave.
Battling with Raphael and Escape of The Turtles
After the first battle with Shredder and Splinter's defeat, Raphael joins up with April and her cameraman Vern Fenwick to rescue the Turtles. Sacks reveals Shredder's plan to unleash chemical toxins from the roof of Sacks Tower over the entire city as toxic gas and to poison the entire city's civilians in order to rule the city and later, Sacks will save everyone with an antidote made from the mutagen in the Ninja Turtles blood, and the government will then send Sacks Industry a blank check while Shredder will force the remaining people to live under their rule. Shredder and Sacks will than be powerful and "stupid rich". Raphael arrives to the prison cells where his brothers are located, in Sacks' mansion and later fights with Shredder who defeats Raphael and escape away to the city with Sacks to spread the toxic gas. Later, The Turtles, O'Neil and Vern are out to stop Shredder but got into a massive car chase with Foot Clan soldiers and Karai who later is defeated and assumed as dead in the snow after the massive chase.
Final Fight with the Turtles on Sacks Industries Tower and Defeat
Later, Shredder arrives to the Sacks Industries building rooftop to spread the toxic gas but then, the Turtles and Shredder are fighting each other in a intense and lengthy battle on the rooftop. After that, Fenwick manages to defeat Sacks, and later O'Neil holds the mutagen to Shredder's eyes who attacks her and takes the mutagen for himself, before that, The Turtles are still fighting him and start to defeat him after they played their own game called "Buck Buck". Later, as the satellite tower on the building is collapsing and the toxic gas spreading is being extremely stopped, Shredder, O'Neil and The Turtles are all hanging on the collapsed tower, and Shredder throws one of his own blades to The Turtles and O'Neil but then, Leonardo throws the blade to Shredder and wounds him. Later, Leo throws his own sword to Shredder's body and later, April kicks Shredder's head and makes him fall to the street below to his defeat. After the battle, the heroes have saved the entire city and the day, Shredder is fully wounded and defeated but as the police converge on Shredder, he does manages to crawl to the spilled mutagen sample that fell with him.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
The Shredder returns in the sequel, but this time as the secondary antagonist (behind Krang).
Two years after his defeat, Shredder was imprisoned. When he is transferred between prisons by Casey Jones, his Foot Clan operating under the direction of a scientist named Baxter Stockman, attacks the convoy transporting him. The Turtles, tipped off to the escape attempt by April O'Neil, fend them off. As Stockman is still able to affect Shredder's escape using a teleportation device, it is hijacked mid-teleport and Shredder winds up in an another dimension. There, he met the alien warlord Krang who tells Shredder about his plans to invade and rule the world and gives him a mutagenic compound in exchange for his promise to find three components of a machine that Krang sent to Earth years ago, which when united will open a portal to his dimension.
Shredder then recruits the two criminals that were transported alongside him in the convoy, Bebop and Rocksteady, and has scientist Stockman use Krang's mutagen on Bebop and Rocksteady to transform them into powerful animal mutants (a warthog and rhinoceros).
At the end, after Bebop and Rocksteady find the last component, Shredder and Stockman complete the portal device and opens the gateway to Krang's dimension, through which his modular war machine, the Technodrome, begins to emerge. After Shredder has Stockman taken away, Krang then immediately betrays Shredder. Enraged, Shredder brandishes his retractable blades. Before Shredder could attack, Krang freezes him and locks him away with his collection of defeated foes.
- In an early 2012 draft of the script called "The Blue Door", The Shredder was instead a military man known as "Colonel Schrader" the military leader of the black-ops unit "The Foot" and was revealed later on in the script to be a yellow-skinned, red-eyed alien with the ability to sprout spikes.
- Originally William Fichtner was going to play a Caucasian version of the Shredder under the anglicized real name of Eric Sacks instead of Oroku Saki. This idea was abandoned late in production in favor of featuring a Shredder of authentic Japanese ancestry, and the film went through re-shoots to change Fichtner's character of Sacks into being the Shredder's student.
- In the Nintendo 3DS game based on the film, Sacks still is Shredder suggesting that Tohoru Masamune was cast rather late in development.
- In contrast to much of the brand's history, Sacks, not Shredder, is the character connected to the Turtles' origins, having created them alongside April O'Neil's father; the Shredder has no connection to Splinter or the Turtles.
- It is not known why he hates Splinter since they have no rivalry.
- Shredder can combine two blades to form a spear, similar to the spear in the first live-action film.
- His name was not revealed in the 2014 film but during the 2016, when Casey Jones was checking Shredder's criminal record, his record is stated that his name was Oroku Saki.
- His appearance in the 2014 film without his helmet bears some resemblance to his 2012 incarnation.
- The symbol of the foot clan from the 2003 series can be found on his chest underneath the neck armor in the live-action film.
- Tohoru Masamune was to reprise the role in Out of the Shadows before the role was recast to Brian Tee.
- According to his criminal record, his birthday is April 15, 1967.
- According to Casey, Shredder has 32 counts of first degree murder, which are on his criminal record.
- On his criminal record, Shredder's eye color is listed as "one black, one pink", this is a reference to the 2012 TV series, in which one of Shredder's eyes is pink due to it having been scarred from his fight with Splinter.
- According to his record, his known offenses consist of:
- 32 counts of first degree murder
- Aggravated assault
- His record also lists his booking date as August 8, 2014, which is also the release date of the 2014 reboot film.