Northern Lights Out is an episode of the Vacation in Europe sideseason. Part of the European vacation season, it had already aired in many European countries during 1992 before airing in the USA over CBS in 1993.
At the conference, Professor Sven Svenson posits that they could tap into dormant volcanoes for clean geothermal energy. But then he's interrupted by a man dressed as a Viking, Eric the Red-Eye, who steals Svenson's notes and abducts April. Donatello charges out to stop him, but is stopped by a collapsing wall, allowing Eric to escape.
But when Svenson reveals on the air that the volcanic locations are in his head, he and April end up kidnapped. The Turtle pursue a solar-powered Viking ship on a fishing boat, but end up losing their transportation when Eric causes two channel cliffs to close in on them. They see Eric's boat vanish into a cliffside in a fjord, and find their way down an air vent into a subterranean Viking village.
The Turtles are soon caught by Eric's wannabe Vikings, but are mistaken for "green dwarfs" who have "come to do Odin's bidding." They manage to get Svenson and April onto the Viking ship and sail off, while Svenson reveals that Eric is planning to blow up the volcanic pools, which will cause a chain reaction that would melt the polar ice cap and flood the world's coastal cities. They plan to plunder flooded cities after that.
Suddenly they're attacked by a legendary sea serpent, Jormungandr, which immediately attacks the ship and tries to swallow it whole. Donatello spots gears in its mouth, and realizes that it's a mechanical sea serpent. He slides inside its mouth and causes it to overheat, and the Turtles, April and Svenson all swing inside before their ship falls apart. Svenson plots a course to the volcanic pools.
Eric the Redeye has the thermal detonators placed on the various volcanoes, but he's also aware that the Turtles have hijacked his sea serpent. He seals them away from the controls remotely, and begins sinking the sea serpent. As the Turtles try to bail out, Donatello grabs some equipment and uses the solar sail to make a series of hang gliders. They swoop down on Eric's forces, and Donatello ends up fighting with Eric down inside the volcano. He successfully gets the detonator out of the volcano before it goes off.
Triumphant, Donatello says he could use a slice of pizza, only to be revolted when April says she has a fish pizza slice with her.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Raphael (Hal Rayle)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Eric Red (Jim Cummings)
- Alternative Energy Conference Announcer (Cam Clarke)
- Professor Sven Svenson (Hal Rayle)
- First Viking (Townsend Coleman)
- Second Viking (Pat Fraley)
- Third Viking (Townsend Coleman)
- Fourth Viking (Townsend Coleman)
- Fifth Viking (Townsend Coleman)
- Viking Villager (Renae Jacobs)
- Alternative Energy Conference building
- Volcanic pool
- Viking village
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 7
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- The Turtles were missing their masks when the Viking warriors drew their swords.
- When the Viking villager told the Turtles they were green dwarves, Raphael was seen with Michelangelo's colors.
- Eric refers to his primary weapon as a hammer. But it is clearly a double bladed axe.
- The colors on Leonardo's left sword were switched in one shot when he is riding the deer with Donatello.