|This article or section is incomplete. Some information regarding this topic has not been added. Please help TurtlePedia by finishing this article.|
|“Nightmare in the Lair”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
Nightmare in the Lair is a season 6 episode of the 1987-1996 series.
Down in the sewers, while Michelangelo, Leonardo, and Raphael are watching yet another cheesy sci-fi film, Donatello is busy building his latest invention, the Dream-O-Vision, a device designed to turn someone's imagination into a three-dimensional hologram.
After a couple of test runs it appears to malfunction when a character named Creepy Eddie appears and announces that he is taking control of Raphael's dream. Donatello shuts down the Dream-O-Vision helmet and decides that it is too dangerous and puts it away until he can figure out what is wrong.
Meanwhile, over at Channel Six News, Milton Frobish the Third, a nerd and son of the owner of Channel Six News, has been welcomed to the News Team and assigned to work with April. Thus begins a series of misadventures for poor Milton the nebbish, thanks to Vernon's constant "sucking up," which frequently causes Milton severe injuries.
Michelangelo decides not to accompany the other Turtles so he could pursue his personal goal of trying out the Dream-O-Vision against Donatello's orders, He puts on the helmet thinking he could try it without the other Turtles knowing. Everything is fine until he is attacked by the Squid Monster That Ate Hoboken. Following that, Mikey is stalked by a tidal wave monster and a hockey goal post that tries to eat him and sucking him under the ice. Then Michelangelo confronts Creepy Eddie in person in a cave that looks like the inside of a mouth. Unable to return to the real world, Creepy Eddie informs Michelangelo that he has been waiting for someone from Michelangelo's universe to pass through. All he needs is one more person to make a two-for-one exchange.
Concerned about Michelangelo's reluctance to join them for pizza, Leonardo returns to the lair, only to be sucked into a whirlwind and transported into Nightmareland. Moments later, Creepy Eddie arrives in the real world. This event then reveals Michelangelo's true intention for not joining the others.
While Michelangelo and Leonardo do battle with creatures from Mikey's imagination, Donatello, Raphael and Splinter do battle with Creepy Eddie. Meanwhile at Channel 6, Vernon's constant tattle tale and accusations nearly get April in deep trouble with Burne. However in a twist the misadventures of Milton Frobish results in him deciding he is not being cut out to work for Channel 6 after all, and wishes to be a doctor instead.
April is relieved, but it is only short-lived. She learns of the absence of both Michelangelo and Leonardo, when the latter's Turtle Com goes to voicemail, revealing he is stranded in Nightmareland and may never come home. And worse yet, Creepy Eddy has tied dynamite to blow up the Dream-O-Vision that would keep Michelangelo and Leonardo stuck in Nightmareland forever.
Finally, April saves the day when she arrives at the lair and finding the lights turned off, turns them on—blowing a fuse in the process. This causes the Dream-O-Vision machine to shut itself off, causing Michelangelo and Leonardo to return to reality and Creepy Eddie to briefly return to Nightmareland before his own dynamite kills him. After this experience, the Turtles refrain from tasteless horror flicks for a while as Splinter noted at the beginning.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Irma Langinstein (Jennifer Darling)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Milton Frobish II (Pat Fraley)
- Milton Frobish III
- Creepy Eddie (Kevin Schon) (death)
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 6
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- Leonardo has no swords with him when he enters Nightmareland, but gains a pair when he and Michelangelo are being chased by the giant spider.
- Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael were wearing disguises when they left the lair to return the movies they rented, but when they were eating pizza at Vinnie’s they weren’t wearing disguises.
- Creepy Eddie is a caricature of Freddy Krueger from the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, most notably his jumper and his ability to invade people's dreams. Creepy Eddie also dies by dynamite just like Freddy in the movie Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare.