The 2003 TV series incarnation of Michelangelo is voiced by Wayne Grayson. Known as "Mikey" to his brothers, his personality is more akin to the Mirage comics. Still the comic relief, he often makes statements that spoof pop culture (such as Star Wars, Star Trek, and The Terminator), although he uses less surfer language than his counterpart in the 1987 cartoon series. His trademark nunchaku are once again his primary weapons, but he has used other weapons such as grappling hooks and those of his brothers.
Michelangelo has the same general appearance as Leonardo, Donatello, and Raphael, although he has an orange headband and orange wrappings on his weapons.
Has sanguine temperament which means he is care-free, artistic, and very extroverted.
Michelangelo is slightly more immature than his 1987 counterpart. Mikey can mock and tease enemies and even his family by coming up with rude but funny remarks. He would mock Splinter‘s phrases and accent, and make remarks towards his brothers. He also tends to pull classic pranks on his brothers, like putting hot sauce on Raph’s cereal, or putting glue on Don’s Bo Staff.
Mikey can also be very cocky. In the Season 2 finale "The Big Brawl", he became the Battle Nexus Champion, the best fighter in the multiverse. However, when fighting in the Tournament, he only actually won one fight properly. Since that battle, Mikey rubs it in his brothers’ faces. However Michelangelo later won a rematch against the last finalist completely fairly, and earned a medal of honor for his behavior during the battle. In some episodes - particularly "Return of the Justice Force", "Touch and Go", "Reality Check", "Membership Drive" and "The Unconvincing Turtle Titan". Mikey is the wiseguy of the group. He would make remarks that took place from a movie or a show. He also makes witty jokes and remarks, just irritate someone or outsmart the opponent. In fact, a running gag is that whenever Michelangelo says or does something rude, obnoxious, stupid usually involving a catch-phrase from the 1987 show, one of his brothers (usually Raphael) will slap him on the head or when he does something stupid. If Donatello smacks Mikey which rarely happens, he would smack him with his Bō staff. Other characters such as Master Splinter and the Ancient One have picked up Don’s version of slapping Mikey, but usually use it only if he disobeys.
Despite being annoying, funny and witty, he shows empathy for others, as proven in particular by his adoption of Klunk, a stray young kitten.
Mikey loves superheroes. In some episodes, Mikey goes out as superhero which he calls himself "Turtle Titan." Although he has no superpowers and gadgets, he still proves himself quite effective in his own way and even befriends other superheroes, such as the Silver Sentry and the Justice Force. As Turtle Titan, Michelangelo uses grappling hooks as both a weapon and a mode of transportation, and a small shield used for protection and as a throwing weapon.
Mikey doesn’t focus on ninjitsu as often as his brothers because he usually prefers to spend his time reading comic books or watching tv. Regardless of Mikey’s laziness, he is a decent fighter.
In early profiles of the 2003 animated series, Michelangelo is regarded as being the most athletic of the four, although unfocused on training mentally (though those are admittedly old profiles and may have been early plans for the character, he has certainly proven he is an effective fighter when need be). He has also proved himself to be more intelligent than he lets on, suggesting he merely puts up an act to loosen the tension between his family. Indeed, his brothers have been known to get surprised by his quick thinking and answers. This profile statement has since been repeated in the profile of Michelangelo in the lead-up to the debut of the Fast Forward season, which began airing on July 29, 2006.
When Mikey was a baby, he and his brothers were mutated by a mutagen that fell out of the back of a truck during an accident. He was raised alongside his brothers by Master Splinter who taught them in the art of ninjutsu.
When he was a little older, he and his brothers went with Master Splinter to Japan to bury Master Yoshi's ashes next to his beloved. While there, they helped Master Splinter and the Ancient One win a fight against a demon and that was when they gained their ninja masks ("Fathers & Sons").
At some point as a kid, he tried to break Leo's kata, but when he failed, he tried to hit him with his nunchucks, but Leo retaliated and knocked him down. ("Tales of Leo")
Insert details here.
Michelangelo became one of the Ninja Tribunal's Acolytes along with his brothers. It should be noted that although Michelangelo tends to goof off, his spiritual avatar is that of a dragon along with his brothers as seen in the episode . It was seen that he was advanced when it came to the stealth training with Hisomi-shiso.
In this series, Michelangelo, along with his brothers, traveled into the year 2105 and met the great-grandson of April and Casey, Cody Jones. Mikey continued his video gaming in the future, completely awestruck by the new video games, especially since most of the games were virtual reality pieces. When the Turtles and Master Splinter reached the future, they were provided with tech-upgraded weapons, courtesy of O'Neil Tech (which Cody owns). Michelangelo first chose a giant power armor suit, which kept Mikey happy for five seconds before he found out that it was too cumbersome for him to operate; so he returned to his (though upgraded) nunchaku standards.
Overall, Michelangelo continued being the obnoxiously annoying little brother. He kept his addiction for video games and it even increased and he became even more obsessed with them, which proved to be a hazard during Graduation Day: Class of 2105 which almost got him to not graduate as he missed a month's worth of training just for playing video games. He made up for it, however, when he passed the three tests to graduate and got back his nunchucks: Invisibility (where the first handle bar was guarded by Leonardo), Strength (where the second handle bar was guarded by Raphael), and Insight (where the chain was guarded by Donatello). He also passed the hidden test of humility after admitting that he did not deserve to graduate just because he passed three tests after missing so much training.
Back to the Sewer
In this series, Mikey continues to be obnoxious and pestering as he always has been in the 2003 series. Mikey was sad to leave behind all of his stuff in the future, including his video games and weapons. Michelangelo still loves his video gaming, and this becomes an important factor in the episode "SuperQuest", where the Turtles must enter one of Mikey's video games to collect more of Master Splinter's data bits that were lost in the beginning of the series.
In "City Under Siege", Mikey defeats the Cyber Shredder by destroying the platform they were on and burning Shredder to a crisp.
Mikey also goes to Casey and April's wedding at the end of the series where he battles Foot ninjas and helps beat the Cyber Shredder. Afterwards he sees Casey and April getting married. By this point he seems to have matured a little bit.
In Turtles Forever, Mikey gets along just perfectly with the 1987 turtles and often remarks "I love these guys!" - in complete contrast to Raphael, who calls them clowns, and greatly prefers the turtles from the Mirage Comics.
However, when the 1987 turtles go too far with playing around, even Mikey gets annoyed with them, proof that even he can be serious, sometimes. The 1987 turtles also give him noogies. Michelangelo is fond of the 1987 turtles belt buckles, immediately because it reminded him of superheroes. When Ch'rell showed them other worlds, Mikey along with the 1987 turtles was amazed by the multiverse showing even more turtles.
He was in the final battle with the Shredder in Turtle Prime and was happy to see Ch’rell destroyed for good.
Skills, powers, and abilities
Like his brothers, Michelangelo is well-trained in the ninja arts by Master Splinter, benefits from enhanced strength and agility, and possesses all natural abilities of turtles. On several occasions, Michelangelo is shown to be a competent driver and a skilled skateboarder.
Michelangelo fights with two nunchakus.
- Leonardo: Though Michelangelo sometimes teases Leonardo for being so uptight, he also shows the most empathy towards his older brother, such as in the episode "Samurai Tourist". Leonardo displays the most faith in Michelangelo's abilities, even though he frequently tells him to focus. In "Grudge Match" it is only Leonardo who is willing to help Mikey train for his re-match against Kluh.
- Donatello: Donatello has a great deal of patience with Michelangelo, sometimes spoiling him by giving in to his whims. Mikey was able to convince him to upgrade an armored car they'd acquired, turning it into the Battle Shell. When Raph displayed impatience with Mikey antics in "Garbageman", Donatello asked if he'd rather have "Mikey happy, or Mikey bored". Despite his trepidations, Donatello allows Mikey to launch the Shell Sub and be his first mate on its maiden voyage in "Junklantis".
- Raphael: Raphael and Michelangelo mostly have a love-hate relationship in which Michelangelo frequently antagonizes Raphael, but Raphael shows that he cares about him whenever he's in danger.
- Master Splinter: Like his brothers, Mikey and Splinter have a very special relationship. During the second round of the Battle Nexus, Splinter chose to forfeit to let him have a chance to win, Mikey was very touched and thanked his father. In "Touch and Go" Mikey took Splinter's advice to use his mind to defeat their foes.
- Like his brothers, Mikey is a practitioner of Chi Gong, which allows him to control his breathing and his heart rate. .
- Mikey defeats the Cyber Shredder one on one in "City Under Siege".
- As a recurring gag, this incarnation of Michelangelo frequently attempts to yell the series catchphrase Cowabunga!, only to be frequently interrupted or chastised for saying it.
- "The Unconvincing Turtle Titan" was the first episode to focus on Mikey.
- Unlike his past incarnations, this Michelangelo screams effeminately (like a girl).
- It was revealed in "Graduation Day: Class of 2105" that Mikey named his nunchaku in Fast Forward 'Chuck' and 'Chuck 2: The Sequel'.
- Favorite music is: Rap, Techno, Surf, Jimmy Buffett.
- Favorite book is Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.