Michelangelo is an ornate box turtle who was mutated to become part human. As a box turtle, he is able to close the openings of his shell to make it even more difficult to get hit by an attack. He is one of the main protagonists of the Rise of the TMNT 2018 series. He is an artist and skateboarder, and also wielded a kusari-fundo, which possessed a "mystical whip" ability until it's destruction, replaced by his nunchuck. He is the youngest of the Turtles.
Michelangelo has teal green skin, yellow-orange circles painted on his shoulders and thighs, a bright yellow plastron with neon pink and blue lighting bolt stickers on it, and a navy teal carapace with yellow-orange designs. He has black eyes, a small gap on the right side of his upper jaw, with three fingers on each hand and two toes on each foot.
Mikey wears an orange mask over his eyes (with short mask tails), orange wristbands and color-matching socks and orange knee pads with faces drawn on them (a dead face on the right and a smiley face on the left). He also wears a light brown belt around his chest and strap over his right shoulder, as well as a Turtle emblem over his heart.
Michelangelo is very similar to his previous incarnations as he loves to crack jokes and is generally more optimistic than his brothers. He has a passion for art, presumably of many kinds as he is shown to have a passion for painting and cooking. Mikey can be very oblivious to dangerous situations, mostly unaware of what kind of trouble he could be in. He also tends to be naive, but also kind-hearted.
Mikey is also shown to be attuned to pop culture, based on some of his word choices, his knowledge of celebrities (like Rupert Swaggart) and his love for rap music. However, Mikey has mixed appreciation for certain retro/old school icons, such as his disappointment with the dated graphics from the Lou Jitsu video game.
Mikey is also easily frightened when in a scary situation, and often has the tendency to react quickly by screaming rather loudly and not stopping screaming for a while. To add to his oblivion, he does not think things through when he's scared. It usually leads to him hiding in his shell.
Mikey also gets upset or angry if things don't go the way he hopes, such as when he snaps whenever someone tries to sabotage his love for pizza, which can allegedly make him unstable. He also does not appreciate when others look upon as being dependent, as such as in "Hot Soup: The Game", where Mikey is eager to do things on his own, much to Raph's disapproval.
Mikey has three "Personalities" Dr. Delicate Touch, Dr. Positive and Dr. Rude. (introduced in the cancelled "Wedding Smashers") He uses Dr. Delicate Touch the most to tell the hard truth in a harsh tone. When he uses the "Dr. Delicate Touch" method, he sometimes starts off as being sweet but quickly becomes angry and straight to the point. Examples of such can be seen in episodes like "Pizza Pit" or "Bullhop".
Mikey is shown to be very competitive as seen in "You Got Served" when he is determined to win despite Leo saying it isn't a competition.
In "Repairin' the Baron", Mikey is shown to have a sympathetic side. After defeating Draxum in the finale first season Mikey is shown to help Baron Draxum tolerate humans and improving his relationships much to Draxum's dismay. Mikey doesn't like assuming the worst in people until they rub him the wrong way or hurt anyone of his friends and family. He tries to justify Foot Recruits unusual suspicious attitude during their first meet in "Hot Soup the Game".
Like his brothers, Michelangelo began his life as a baby turtle in Baron Draxum's laboratory. Wishing to make mutant soldiers, the Baron used Lou Jitsu's DNA to mutate Michelangelo into an anthropomorphic turtle. He was taken from the lab by Lou Jitsu, along with his brothers.
Youngest of the group, Michelangelo has a wild and colorful personality. He's an artist and spends his time tagging the Turtles' lair—and his own box turtle shell—with graffiti. He's an eternal optimist and an absolute natural at ninjutsu.
- Ninjutsu: Being raised by Splinter, Michelangelo, like the rest of his brother, is skilled in the ways of ninjutsu.
- Stealth: As a practitioner of ninjutsu, Michelagelo can slip and out of areas undetected.
- Ninja mind meld: Mikey can merge his mind with his brothers, capable of sharing their plans in an instant.
- Hamato Ninpō: By tapping into the Hamato family energy, Mikey can unleash his own mystic might.
- Weapon formation: Using his ninpō, Mikey can form any random object into his weapon, ideally, nunchucks.
- Mystic Whips: Using his nunchucks, Mikey can wrap them around his opponents almost endlessly, and throw them around.
- Mystic Whip: Perhaps the oddest of the weapons found in Draxum's lair, Michelangelo possess a kusari-fundo with a sphere weight with spiked ridges. The sphere becomes a flaming head when Mikey wills it, and he can move however he wills it. It is also capable of lifting enormous objects.
- Strength (Due To Mutation)
- Speed: Michelangelo is very quick, in "You got Served" his speed was capable of keeping up with Leonardo. Mikey just may be the second fastest out of the turtles, rivaling his older brother Leonardo.
- Cooking: It is hinted that Michelangelo is the chef of the family. He cooks lots of pizza inspired dishes as well as loves experimenting with other culinary cuisines. In the episode "You Got Served" it is shown that Mikey can cook dishes that are not pizza inspired.
- Music: As shown "Nothing But Truffle", Mikey can play the mandolin, a plucked stringed instrument in the guitar family.
- Donatello: Mikey is exceptionally close to Donnie, often seen clinging to his side. The two go on a minor adventure together in "Repo Mantis". Mikey is often seen with Donnie such as in "The Ancient Art of Ninja Hide and Seek" when Leo and Raph work on their own but Mikey chooses to stick with Donnie.
- Baron Draxum: Mikey's other dad, along with Splinter. It was Mikey more than anyone else that chose to believe in Draxum and help the yōkai get back on his feet after Draxum was forced to flee the Hidden City.
- Hamato Karai:
- Splinter: Mikey loves his dad. Being the most affectionate of his brothers he is the most excited about getting Splinter's hugs.
- Leonardo: Mikey is competitive towards Leo the most but he does love him deeply. It is greatly shown in "You Got Served" that he brags a lot that he has unicorns but Leo doesn't have any and competes to see who gets the most unicorns. When Mikey is in danger or afraid Leo is usually there to protect/help him.
- April O'Neil: Mikey really loves April and hanging out with her.
- Raphael: Mikey doesn't like it when Raph becomes overprotective of him. But he does love him deeply.
Friends and allies
- Todd Capybara: Mikey is the only turtle seen hanging out with him excluding being forced to or meeting by coincidence. They are considered friends and they hang out in "Nothing But Truffle"
- Marcus Moncrief:
- Red Fox:
- Stanley / Bullhop:
- Cassandra Jones / Foot Recruit: Mikey is the first turtle to meet the Foot Recruit in "Hot Soup: The Game". They fight over the game and Foot Recruit tries to destroy Mikey but they are able to relate to each other in terms of wanting to complete their solo mission. He often refers to her as a "frenemy." They finally became allies in the finale, "Rise".
- Big Mama:
- Foot Clan:
- Repo Mantis:
- Mezmer-Ron / Hypno-Potamus:
- Warren Stone:
- Rupert Swaggart / Meat Sweats:
- "You must be THIS rad to ride that ride." - After doing a cannonball with his brothers into a pool
- "Yay, arts and crafts!" - Upon seeing the Origami made by the Foot Lieutenant
- "April's memes are SO lit!" - After seeing the Turtle-Potamus meme April sent
- "We don't spend much quality time together" - After getting trapped with Donnie
- "Dr. Delicate Touch feels nothing" - When Donnie asked him that he is Dr. Delicate Touch
- "Man, this seemed like a very cool idea until we didn't succeed at it."-After the Foot Lieutenant and Foot Brute escaped
- Mikey says "Cowabunga" as his catchphrase in the series, rather than "Booyakasha," which was the catchphrase of his previous Nickelodeon incarnation.
- He also often says "Omigosh!".
- According to the writers, he is the sweet and loving turtle of the team.
- Among the TV series incarnations, this version of Mikey is the least goofy and more serious than the other incarnations of himself.
- He is revealed to have a close relationship with Leo, who takes him under his wing.
- Mikey is a passionate artist in this series.
- He is shown to put stickers on his shell.
- He also loves to decorate the Lair with graffiti.
- He made a picture of his family for his gram-gram, Hamato Karai.
- Brandon Mychal Smith stated in an interview that Mikey likes extreme sports.
- In the original Mirage continuity story "The Passing", Mikey's training weapon was also a kusari-fundo.
- This version of Mikey is the second ninja turtle overall to have a gap in his teeth.
- Despite being referred to as a kusari-fundo in the official character releases, Mikey's new weapon more closely resembles a chigiriki.
- As shown in "You Got Served", Mikey sees everything as a competition.
- He is the only ninja turtle not to get arrested by the end of the Hidden City special.
- He is also the second mutant to not get arrested by the end of the Hidden City special. First being Splinter.
- Mikey is good at ballet which is confirmed in the episode "Lair Games".