Michelangelo is a mutant box turtle that is able to close the openings of his shell to make it even more difficult to attack. He is an artist and skateboarder, and initially uses nunchucks, but after they are destroyed he wields a kusari-fundo instead, which possesses a "mystical whip" ability. He is the youngest of the Turtles.
Michelangelo has teal green skin, yellow-orange circles painted on his shoulders and thighs, a bright yellow plastron with neon pink and blue lighting bolts painted on it, and a navy teal carapace with yellow-orange designs. He has black eyes, a small gap on the right side of his upper jaw, three fingers on each hand and two toes on each foot.
Mikey wears an orange mask over his eyes (with short mask tails), orange wristbands and color-matching socks and orange knee pads with faces drawn on them (dead face on the right and smiley face on the left). He also wears a light brown belt around his chest and strap over his right shoulder, as well as a Turtle emblem over his heart.
Michelangelo is very similar to his previous incarnations as he loves to crack jokes and is generally more optimistic than his brothers. He has a passion for art, presumably of many kinds as he is shown to have a passion for painting and cooking. Mikey can be very oblivious, as shown in Shell in the Cell, where he interrupts Donnie many times, likely without realizing he is doing it. He also tends to be naive, but kind-hearted.
As shown in episodes like "Pizza Pit", Mikey can get angry when something he loves most is being messed with, such as pizza. These types of things causes Mikey to become more aggressive until he reaches his breaking point.
Youngest of the group, Michelangelo has a wild and colorful personality. He's an artist and spends his time tagging the Turtles' lair—and his own box turtle shell—with graffiti. He's an eternal optimist and an absolute natural at ninjutsu.
- Mystic Whip
- Strength (Due To Mutation)
- Speed (Due To Mutation)
- "You must be THIS rad to ride that ride." - After doing a cannonball with his brothers into a pool.
- "Yay- arts and crafts!" - Upon seeing the Origami made by the Foot Lieutenant.
- Mikey says "Cowabunga" as his catchphrase on the show, rather than "Booyakasha", which was his catchphrase in the previous Nickelodeon incarnation.
- He also often says "Omigosh".
- According to the writers, he's the sweet and loving turtle of the team.
- He is revealed to a close relationship with Leo, who takes him under his wing.
- Mikey is an passionate artist in this series.
- He is shown to put stickers on his shell.
- He also loves to decorate the Lair with graffiti.
- Brandon Mychal Smith stated in an interview that Mikey likes extreme sports.
- In the original Mirage Comics' The Passing, Mikey's training weapon was also a Kusari-Fundo.
- This version of Mikey is the second overall ninja turtle to have a gap in his teeth.
- Despite being referred to as a kusari-fundo in the official character releases, Mikey's new weapon more closely resembles a chigiriki.