Some TMNT stuff really isn't for little kids.
Michelangelo wears an orange bandana, and a pair of nunchaku hangs from his belts. He's the jokester of the group who loves playing video games and skateboarding. But don't be fooled by his laid-back demeanor. He's all fun and games, until you mess with him and his bros.
- Named after the Italian Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect, poet and engineer Michelangelo
- Easy-going, fun-loving jokester and free-spirited being
- Youngest of the 4 Turtles
- Light green with freckles and light blue eyes
- Shorter than the other Turtles and seems pudgier
- Least mature and very social
- Often provides the comic relief, a practical joker and class-clown
- Loves to relax and eat pizza
Michelangelo is the shortest of his brothers. He has shades hanging on his bead necklaces and wears wetsuit pants, all according to his sewer surfer personality. One of the legs of his pants is shorter than the other. He also wears a gray hoodie tied around his waist and sneakers, which have the front cut open for his turtle toes. On the back of his shell Mikey has some yellow, orange and pink Japanese graffiti writing. He and Leo are the only Turtles with blue eyes. Mikey has a tattoo on his shoulder.
Like his brothers, Michelangelo started out as a small turtle hatchling being used for scientific research in the laboratory of Eric Sacks. He was regularly injected with mutagen that gave him increased strength and healing.
After April O'Neil freed the Turtles and Splinter, they began to rapidly grow in size and intelligence, both of which were comparable or greater than that of humans. For the next fifteen years Michelangelo spent most of his life in the sewers with his brothers and adoptive father, where he was taught the art of ninjutsu. His preferred weapon was a pair of nunchaku, which he was adept at using.
Along with his brothers, Michelangelo fought and defeated a squad of Foot Clan warriors who were about to execute hostages at a subway. Afterwards they were found by April, now grown and a TV reporter, whom Michelangelo shocked with his appearance (although he believed it was his mask that disturbed her). He developed an intense crush on her from this point onward, much to the irritation of his brothers.
Michelangelo was the one who revealed their encounter with April to Splinter, and was quite pleased when the Turtles were sent to fetch her. However, they were interrupted by an attack from the Foot Clan, which April had unwittingly led there, and Michelangelo was charged with hiding her from them. Afterwards he fought to defend his home and his family, but was forced to surrender when the Shredder threatened Splinter's life. From there, he was captured along with Donatello and Leonardo and taken to Sacks' mansion.
Along with Donatello and Leonardo, Michelangelo nearly died when the blood was drained from his body in order to harvest the mutagen, but he was able to break out of his cage when April administered a massive dose of adrenaline to all three Turtles. Newly energized, they rejoined Raphael and set out to stop Shredder from detonating a chemical weapon in the heart of New York.
Like his brothers, Michelangelo had limited success fighting against Shredder, but showed a streak of ingenuity when he suggested they "play buck-buck," tag-teaming Shredder in the style of a game they had played as children. This proved to be an effective tactic against the armored villain, and gained them the time they needed for Donatello to disarm the chemical weapon. At the end of the battle, believing that they were all about to die, Michelangelo's confession to his brothers was that he had never understood the ending of the TV show Lost.
Having reclaimed some of the mutagen, he and the other Turtles headed back home and were able to heal Splinter. Upon seeing April again, Michelangelo attended to serenade her with the song "Happy Together" by the Turtles, much to Raphael's annoyance.
As the most social and outgoing of the Turtles, Michelangelo was the most affected by their inability to live normal lives. Two years after the defeat of Shredder, he briefly sneaked out into the street when a Halloween parade was passing by, and expressed a desire to watch a basketball game down in the public seats rather than hiding in the Jumbotron.
When the brothers set out to stop Shredder from escaping from a prison convoy, Michelangelo was put in charge of the "Nunchucks Giganticus," giant defensive nunchucks that he accidentally destroyed when driving under an underpass. When Shredder emerged from the prison truck, Michelangelo was put in charge of firing a net to capture the escaping villain, but Shredder was teleported away just as the net was fired.
When Leonardo learned of the properties of the purple ooze, which had the potential to turn the Turtles human, Michelangelo was eavesdropping on the conversation, and experienced mixed emotions as he contemplated his own three-fingered hand. He secretly informed Raphael of this development, and seemed distressed when his older brother went to confront Leonardo about keeping the purple ooze's qualities a secret from them.
When Leonardo pointedly excluded Raphael and Michelangelo from their next mission, Michelangelo became part of Raphael's plan to get more purple ooze and make the decision for themselves whether they wished to be human or not. Unfortunately the plan was wrecked by the theft of the ooze by the Foot Clan. Though Raphael was able to recover the substance, the Turtles' existence was revealed to the police, and Michelangelo was deeply hurt when he saw the hate and fear that the police exhibited when they saw the Turtles for the first time.
Before anything could be done about this, the Turtles had to leave for Brazil to prevent Bebop and Rocksteady from reclaiming an alien device. Michelangelo repeatedly attempted to claim the device, but they eventually lost it.
Upon returning to New York, Michelangelo and his brothers were presented with the choice of whether to appear human for the rest of their lives. Now that he actually had to choose, Michelangelo appeared strongly apprehensive about the idea, and seemed to accept his Turtle nature when Raphael smashed the purple ooze.
Instead the Turtles offered an alliance to Chief Rebecca Vincent, in order to stop Krang from assembling the Technodrome over New York and taking over the world. Michelangelo played a key part in this battle, using his rocket-powered skateboard to reach the beacon that was drawing the pieces of the Technodrome to Earth, but Krang nearly crushed him to death before Donatello could send the beacon and Krang back through the dimensional portal.
Along with his brothers, Michelangelo was given a key to the city in front of the NYPD. Upon being asked what their last name was, he expressed displeasure that they didn't have one like everyone else.
- Dual Nunchucks
- Shoulder-mounted walkie talkie
- Immense Speed : Enhanced by the mutagen and intense training in ninjutsu, he could freely leap and climb about the complex environment of New York City.
- Armored Mutated Shell: Like his brothers, Michelangelo has had his shell mutated by the mutagen, gaining immense density and great size, able to deflect multiple bullets from machine guns.
- Master Nunchuck Expert: Michelangelo is a masterful ninja who is highly proficient in using his dual nunchucks.
- Stealth: Thanks to his ninjutsu training, Michelangelo is able to hide in the shadows and move through them without being seen or detected. He was able to take down several members of the Foot Clan in a subway station with his brothers while the lights were off.
- Nunchucks: Mikey uses two nunchucks as his signature weapons, with tan handles with black dragons on them and connected together with silver steel chains.
- Folding up in shell: Like the rest of the turtles, he is able to fold up in his shell.
- Indomitable will: Like the rest of his brothers, Mikey possess a strong will, being able to withstand being in the Ha-shi for a full eleven hours; his punishment is to be upside down on a swivel chair, while spinning around. It wasn't until Master Splinter listed the ingredients of the 99 cheese pizza that Mikey broke, telling Splinter why he and his brothers left the lair.
- Skateboarding: Mikey possesses master skateboarding skills, being able to skateboard with his rocket skateboard while jumping and flipping around on roof tops, while skydiving from a plane, and off the room of a moving big rig roof and onto a moving truck.
- He wrote "Mikey was here" on the back of Raphael's shell.
- He used to say "cowabunga" when he was a kid, which annoyed Raph, who eventually made Mikey promise never to say it again.
- Mikey appears without the hoodie tied around his waist in the Lyric video for "Shell Shocked" made by Atlantic Records.
- Michelangelo hits on April O'Neil, much like the first 2 live-action movies, indicating that he has a crush on her.
- Splinter and the Turtles were laboratory experiments, much like in the IDW comics origin story.
- Michelangelo mentions a "Hip Hop Christmas Album" as a reference to the We Wish You a Turtle Christmas special.
- During one of April's video tape reviews Mikey's tank is incorrectly labeled "Michaelangelo".
- His face is based on Bill Murray.
- In the first film the Turtles are 15 years old, as the video footage April watches is dated 1999. Eric Sacks mentions that he's spent the last 15 years trying to replicate the results from the lab, thus making them 15 years old in the first film. And since "Out of the Shadows" takes place two years after the first film, the Turtles would be 17 years old.
- He watches the show "Lost", and he has also stated that he does not understand the ending of it.
- In the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows Movie Novelization", he states "We'll never get to see how The Simpsons ends." Implying that he watches The Simpsons and that he might also be a fan of them.
- In the 2016 film, he claims that he is a vegan (someone who doesn't eat meat or animal products of any kind), except for meat, cheese, and eggs. However, judging by the way he said it, it is unknown if he was serious about being a vegan, as meat, cheese, and eggs are all foods vegans don't eat, or if he doesn't fully understand what a vegan is.
- In the first turtle lair, he used to keep a case of Orange Crush soda behind the refrigerator, which he didn't want Raph to know about for some reason.
- His favorite type of soda is clearly Orange Crush.
- He has a tattoo on his left shoulder.