Some TMNT stuff really isn't for little kids.
|This article or section is incomplete. Some information regarding this topic has not been added. Please help TurtlePedia by finishing this article.|
Man Ray, usually just called Ray, is a mutant manta ray who was first seen caged at Null Group's rail yard facility alongside Sally Pride in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutanimals issue 2. He was being trained to be the perfect mutant soldier, which involved fighting other mutants to the death. He was soon freed and became a member of Old Hob's Mutanimals along with Sally. With Ray on the team, Hob retreated to a more coordinative role and gave Ray command of actual missions.
These increased responsibilities included helping Hob secretly hoard arms and working with Hun, without the knowledge of most of the other Mutanimals. Despite this, his relationship with the Turtles was cordial, as he was allowed into their Christmas party.
Along with the other Mutanimals, excepting Hob, he was captured by a Darkwater team on behalf of Agent Bishop. Ray engaged Bishop in discourse about the lack of ethics the agent was exhibiting, while also unlocking his restraints. After shooting barbs at two of the mercenaries nearby, he fought with Agent Bishop, but was stopped by Colonel Knight holding a gun to his head. In the meantime, Sally and Mondo Gecko had managed to escape. Ray was eventually freed after Hob took Knight's wife hostage.
He and Sally later undertook a mission in New Jersey to find a mysterious mutant sighted there. While they located the mutant Dreadmon, Ray was displeased when he discovered that he was human-born. They were attacked by a squad of wolf-mutant mercenaries who had come to capture Dreadmon, and Ray was temporarily captured by them. His opinion of Dreadmon softened afterwards, and he invited the mutant jackal to join the Mutanimals, but was refused.
After the battles with the Triceratons, Ray accompanied Hob through the wreckage of New York, acquiring alien technology.
Ray is highly intelligent and well-spoken, but was largely averse to taking risks until Hob and the Mutanimals rescued him from Null's captivity. Ray later became closer to Hob and came to share his and Herman's common desire to go to greater lengths to protect mutants, even if it would involve tactics Slash ethically disapproves of.
He also harbors antipathy towards human-born mutants, though not as strongly as Hob himself does. This was seen when he initially developed hostility towards the human-born mutant Dreadmon.
- Jonathan Bishop:
- Dreadmon: When Ray and Sally were sent by Hob into rural New Jersey to investigate and potentially recruit the person who turned out to be Dreadmon, Ray soured on him when he learnt Dreadmon was a human-born mutant who mutated by choice, an option which Ray as an animal-born mutant had never been given. Dreadmon likewise did not have a high opinion of Ray's attitude. But after Sally went back to rescue Ray from the Gang of Four even over Dreadmon's objections, Ray and Dreadmon shared a moment of mutual respect even as Dreadmon declined their offer to join the Mutanimals.
- Old Hob: Since joining the Mutanimals, Ray has been steadfastly loyal to Hob. Ray gradually replaced Slash as Hob's preferred partner-in-crime, as Ray shared the same philosophies with Hob that ultimately drove Slash to quit. Ray actually designed and constructed the mutagen bomb that Hob would use to forcibly mutate countless humans in the city, and is directly responsible along with Hob for the events leading up to the establishment and quarantine of Mutant Town.
- Pigeon Pete:
- Sally Pride: No one else in the Mutanimals had known Ray longer than Sally had, as Ray was Sally's first friend and her earliest family. After they joined Hob's organization, they initially remained close, but developed different attitudes towards their shared cause, with Sally not sharing Ray's antipathy towards humans, distrust of human-born mutants like Dreadmon, or approval of Hob's ethically questionable tactics. When the Gang of Four detained Ray, she went back to rescue him even over Dreadmon's objections. But as Hob's actions became more questionable and more extreme, Ray fully went along with them, and he along with Hob and Herman drew Sally's castigation as a consequence. Ray's relationship with Sally is unclear since she finally renounced Hob and quit the Mutanimals.
- Stone: Ray was briefly seen with Stone as both kept a watchful eye on the Turtles.
- Ray is apparently warm-blooded, given Sally's description of him as having a warm hand when they first met.