- This article was transwikied from Wikipedia.
|“It Came from Beneath the Sewers”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 Cartoon) episode|
|Original airdate||October 15, 1988|
|Written by||Larry Parr|
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1988 Season|
October 1, 1988 - December 26, 1988
List of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episodes
"It Came from Beneath the Sewers" is an episode of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series. It is the second episode of season 2 (1988). This episode was written by Larry Parr. It originally aired on October 15, 1988. It is available on DVD in the box set released on April 26, 2005.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and April O'Neil are once again using the Crystal Converger to track down another piece of the Eye of Sarnath. They arrive at a carnival in an otherwise-deserted part of town. The Turtles decide to dispense with their usual secrecy, since they can always claim to be part of the sideshow.
Meanwhile, in the Technodrome, which is located in Dimension X, Krang and Shredder use the high-tech equipment inside to locate the fragment as well. Shredder also confirms that the fragment they got in the previous episode was thrown out accidentally by Baxter Stockman.
Unfortunately, the fragment has already been found by two small boys. April only has three dollars on her, but they refuse that low offer. The Turtles, meanwhile, are mistaken for clowns by the manager of the carnival; April manages to get Michelangelo aside long enough to take all his cash, in hopes of buying the fragment from the boy.
But before she can, Baxter and Shredder steal the fragment. While Baxter is analyzing it, the fragment comes into contact with Shredder's boot, and some plant residue from Dimension X begins to grow. Shredder believes that this will enable him to obtain the other two fragments and defeat the Turtles.
Later in the sewers, the Turtles tell Splinter how they lost the fragment to Shredder, as Donatello reveals that the batteries on the Converger are starting to fail. Suddenly, a giant tentacled plant breaks the wall and attacks the Turtles before being driven deeper into the sewers. They conclude that it may be from Dimension X, and that April should wait for them in her apartment while they continue searching for the fragments.
At April's apartment, April and Irma are drinking coffee when someone knocks on the door. Outside is a note with an address on it, signed "The Turtles." She goes alone to the address and finds herself captured by Shredder, who cuffs her to a chair and gags her. He uses her Turtlecom to notify them of her plight.
In response, the Turtles disguise themselves as pizza delivery boys, knock at the door, and when they aren't let in, they pelt Shredder and Baxter with pizzas and weaponry until they retreat.
Then a TV in the warehouse shows breaking news: the giant tentacled plant is erupting through the streets, which continues to get worse throughout the next day. While the Turtles are carving through vines with a laser, they are confronted by a multi-eyed Venus-flytrap "head" for the plant, which starts eating parts of their van. After an attack by the Turtles, it retreats back down into the sewers.
Splinter advises them to "always start at the root of the problem," which the Turtles interpret rather literally. The Turtles follow the greenish "blood" from the plant until they find the main body of the plant again, and call out their secret weapon: Michelangelo dressed as a female plant decoy to distract it.
Surprisingly this tactic works for a short time before the Turtles are forced to attack with weapons again, and Leonardo manages to stab it at the "root," causing it to shrivel and dissolve into a steaming green liquid.
As the Turtles recover from their adventure, April brings them a Venus flytrap, which bites Michelangelo on the nose.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Irma (Jennifer Darling)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Baxter Stockman (Pat Fraley)
- Dark-Haired Boy (Renae Jacobs)
- Red-Haired Boy (Jennifer Darling)
- Circus Manager (Pat Fraley)
- Mother at Carnival (Jennifer Darling)
- Little Girl at Carnival
- Mutant plant
- Turtle Lair
- Streets of New York
- Shredder's hideout/423 Dock Street
- April's Apartment
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Incredible Shrinking Turtles
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 2
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- First appearance of April's new apartment since her old one was destroyed by Mousers in "A Thing About Rats".
- The black piping on Irma's jumper disappears and reappears in some shots in April's apartment.
- April's Turtlecom looks like the Turtles version when Shredder uses it to call the Turtles to rescue her, and it was cream coloured when Shredder pulled out out of her purse.
- Raphael is on the side of the Turtle Van shooting at vines, but when the Turtle Van goes through an alley, Michelangelo replaces Raphael.
- April's Turtlecom was coloured white with a blue inside when Shredder told Baxter to answer the door.
- The colours on Donatello's bo and strapping were switched after Shredder pulled Baxter through the window during their escape.
- Right before Shredder takes the Crystal from the kids, the kid's skin tones are swapped.
- When Krang is tracking the next Fragment, the blinking light appears somewhere in the Caribbean. In the next minute, it's at the carnival... in New York.
- When Michelangelo is knocking down bottles with baseballs, two of the baseballs appear out of thin air.
Shredder: Good catch, Baxter!
Baxter: You must admit, I do have soft hands.
- - Somewhere off-screen, somebody's gay-dar has just gone off.
Shredder: A mutant plant! The perfect way to flush out those mutant turtles!
- - One of Shredder's better plans?
Shredder: (hearing knock at door) Go see who that is!
Baxter: (looking through window in door to see the Turtles dressed in pizza delvery boy garb) It's four green pizza delivery boys.
Shredder: I don't remember ordering any pizzas. Especially green ones!
Raphael: (busting through door) Well you're gettin' em whether you want 'em or not!!!
(Baxter sneaks up behind Raphael before Michaelangelo splatters him with a pizza)
Baxter:I... I can't see!
Michelangelo: Well like, that was the plan dude!
- - One of the Turtles better plans.
- Shredder: It will take more than a pizza with extra olives to stop me!!