Halloween is a holiday that occurs on October 31st the night before All Saints Day. Celebrations are based around folklore of old days, usually with ghosts, monsters, demons and witches. Common traditions include trick or treating.
Originally, Halloween was prevalent in Catholic Ireland until Irish immigrants built the custom in the United States. Halloween is said to derive from the Irish-Celtic feast Samhain and also from earlier traditions, which have to do with the belief in the kingdom of the dead.
In the United States, Halloween is one of the most popular celebrations, in which you dress up, especially as monsters and ghosts. Halloween is particularly popular with children, as they dress in costumes from house to house to get candy. The saying "Trick or Treat" is a common saying. If the householder does not distribute any candy, he has to be punished with a prank (the "Trick").
In Mexico, on the 31st of October, the Día de los Muertos ("Day of the Dead") is celebrated to commemorate deceased friends and family members, while Protestant Christians in Germany and Austria celebrate the Reformation Day, in commemoration of the reformation of the Church by Martin Luther.
Halloween in TMNT
- In the comic story "All Hallow's Thieves", the Ninja Turtles get to do Halloween with with the King of Thieves and a six-armed statue brought to life.
- In the short story "Don't Judge a Book..." the Turtles thwart a burglary in April's Apartment and shop on Halloween.
- The story "What Wolves Wear" takes place on Halloween night.
- In the story "Night of the Living Gingerbread" Michelangelo tells the little Shadow Jones an adventurous scary story for Halloween.
- The frontispiece for the story "Monster Island" has Donatello giving trick or treat candy to a real pixie.
- In the episode "Super Irma", Irma gained temporary super powers through an accident on Halloween. In the same episode, the Turtles take advantage of Halloween to attend a party as themselves.
- In the story "Trick or Treat" the Ninja Turtles thwart Bebop and Rocksteady from stealing candy from Trick or Treaters.
- In the episode "All Hallows Thieves" (the adaptation of the Mirage comic story), the Ninja Turtles have to put an end to the machinations of the King of Thieves.
- The episodes The Curse of Savanti Romero, The Crypt of Dracula, The Frankenstein Experiment and Monsters Among Us! act as the aforementioned special for this series, focusing on the Turtles and Renet trying to prevent Savanti from gathering the most famous monsters in history to end the human race.
- The book Monster Mayhem! takes place on Halloween.