Half-Shell Heroes: Blast to the Past is an upcoming one-hour TMNT TV special on Nickelodeon, debuting Sunday, November 22.
Told in the style of Playmates' Half-Shell Heroes action figure line, the storyline finds the Turtles going back in time to the Jurassic Era, where they encounter friendly dinosaurs from the past and dangerous aliens from the future who have a nefarious plan of their own. However, things get even more complicated when Triceratons, Bebop and Rocksteady show up!
- Bebop (J.B. Smoove)
- Donatello (Rob Paulsen)
- Leonardo (Seth Green)
- Michelangelo (Greg Cipes)
- Raphael (Sean Astin)
- Ice Cream Kitty (Kevin Eastman)
- Rocksteady (Fred Tatasciore)
- Tiger Claw (Eric Bauza)
to be added
- Unlike the current CG-animated series on Nick, Half-Shell Heroes will be 2D-animated.
- Random House will also be putting out a Blast to the Past book this September, while Playmates will release new dino toys in the fall to coincide with the special.
- Upon finding the Turtles, Bebop says "it's on like Diddy Kong", a paraphrase of the popular saying "it's on like Donkey Kong". Diddy Kong is Donkey Kong's sidekick in the video game Donkey Kong Country.
- Each of the turtles dino-buddies were chosen based on Playmates Toys' classic "cave-turtles" collection. As matter of fact, the dinos present the same color scheme from their classic toy counterparts.
- Oddly the classic collection cave-turtle Don wore saber-toothed tiger fur clothes and hat, and in the new Half-Shell Heroes toyline, Michelangelo is the one wearing it.
- Despite the plotline stating the episode is set during the Jurassic period, it is actually set in the Cretaceous period, although some dinosaurs from the Jurassic (Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, and Compsognathus) appear as well.
- Zera is based on a Torosaurus, which is distinguished from the contemporary Triceratops by an elongate frill with large openings, long squamosal bones of the frill with a trough on their upper surface, and the presence of five or more pairs of hornlets on the back of the frill.
- A study of fossil bone histology combined with an investigation of frill shape concluded that Torosaurus probably represented the mature form of Triceratops.
- Zera is the first female Triceraton to ever appear in the franchise.
- Another female Triceraton was meant to appear in Tale of the TMNT, vol 2 long before Zera came in, but the idea was put aside. Coincidentally, her name was Zura, with an "U" instead of an "E".
- Bebop wears turtle shells as shoulder pads in reference to his original 1987 counterpart.
- Rocksteady wears a green helmet in reference to his original 1987 counterpart.