|“Half-Shell Heroes: Blast to the Past”|
|Original airdate||November 22, 2015|
|Written by||Brandon Auman|
|Supervising Producer||Glen Murakami|
|Directed by||Glen Murakami|
|Voice Direction||Andrea Romano|
|Storyboard Artist:||Miki Brewster|
|Story Editor:||Brandon Auman|
Told in the style of Playmates Toys' Half-Shell Heroes action figure line, the storyline finds the Ninja Turtles going back in time to the Cretaceous Period, where they encounter friendly dinosaurs from the past and dangerous aliens from the future who have a nefarious plan of their own. However, things get even more complicated when Triceratons, Bebop and Rocksteady show up!
- Bebop (J.B. Smoove)
- Donatello (Rob Paulsen)
- Ice Cream Kitty (Kevin Eastman)
- Leonardo (Seth Green)
- Michelangelo (Greg Cipes)
- Raphael (Sean Astin)
- Rocksteady (Fred Tatasciore)
- Tiger Claw (Eric Bauza)
Half shell Heroes: Blast to the Past film begins with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with more cartoonish and animated appearance. The film starts with the turtles in the Party Wagon chasing after the van that Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady in there. Inside of the party wagon, we see Leonardo and Raphael are in the front while Donatello and Michelangelo in the back.
Inside, Raphael is complaining that they're getting slower. Donatello explains that according to the GPS saying that Shredder's goons or heading to the national New York City History Museum. Michelangelo thinks that they're heading for the laser show, but Leonardo doubts it and thinks they're up to steal something. Raphael thinks that the new Shredder's helmet is going to be red, with spike and tassels, the others glare at Raph in confusion and surprise for a long silence, but Raph exclaims that tassels are cool. Leo tells his brothers to stay focused as they're getting closer to the goons.
Meanwhile in Bebop and Rocksteady's van, Rocksteady complaints about the vehicle saying that it is too small and his knees are cracked and has a Charlie the horse with Bebop asking him to stop. Tiger Claw is deeply annoyed by their complaints asking them to be quiet for 10 seconds since he's creating a plan to steal the Cronite. However Bebop and Rocksteady continue to get on Tiger Claw's nerves, much to the latter's annoyance and charging.
As they arrive they exit the van and head to the museum. The turtles are there too and Michelangelo is amazed by all those dinosaur bones just as three mutants arrive. When Bebop questions about the meteorite, Rocksteady says that it is a giant rock from space, it has so much properties. Tiger Claw explains that the meteorite is the energy source it is the most rarest rock in the space and it fell to the Earth 65 million years ago. Rocksteady thinks that it is the day when in the Earth is cave people, but Tiger Claw facepalms in dismay, saying that people never existed back then and calls him "Rockhead", much to Bebop's amusement and Rocksteady's anger. Meanwhile, Donatello complains about stupidity of warthog and rhino as Leo explains his brothers of which opponent they should fight as they leave. Michelangelo watches at the dinosaur statue in awe.
Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady found the cronite. Michelangelo accidentally touches the bones of the dinosaur which crumbles to the ground, making enough sound to drive attention to Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady, as the turtles furiously yell at their youngest brother:"MIKEY!!!" the turtles then start their fight. Leo fights with Tiger Claw, Donnie and Raph fight with Bebop and Mikey fights with Rocksteady. While fighting the turtles were able to steal the cronite as they escape the museum, leaving the mutants empty-handed.
The Turtles Return to the lair where we see ice cream kitty is playing the video games when Leo is about to be next, Ice Cream Kitty grabs both controllers and uses it to control both cars as she wins. Leo thinks that ice cream kitty is cheating, but she meows innocently.
Working on his lab, Donnie finds out that chronite is more powerful than Kraang crystals. His brothers arrived in the left and see the giant figure covered in the sheet. Donnie uncovers the sheet revealing the Shellformer: it can fly, riding on Earth and transform into Giant Turtle Mech, much to Mikey's joy. When Donnie is about to insert the cronite to the tank, Leo declines, saying that they have to return to cronite back to the museum.
- Unlike the 2012 animated TV series, Half-Shell Heroes is in 2D and is flash-animated.
- Random House also put out a Blast to the Past book September 2015, while Playmates released new dino toys in the fall to coincide with the special.
- There are a couple of references to the Donkey Kong franchise:
- Upon finding the Turtles, Bebop says "it's on like Diddy Kong", a paraphrase of the popular saying "it's on like Donkey Kong". Diddy Kong is Donkey Kong's sidekick in the video game Donkey Kong Country.
- While escaping from the Triceratons' prison, Bebop and Rocksteady avoid lasers and a rolling boulder. The scene is similar to the gameplay in the first video game in the series, complete with arcade background music.
- Each of the Turtles dino-buddies were chosen based on Playmates Toys' classic "cave-turtles" collection. As matter of fact, the dinos present the same color scheme from their classic toy counterparts.
- Oddly the classic collection cave-turtle Don wore saber-toothed tiger fur clothes and hat, and in the new Half-Shell Heroes toyline, Michelangelo is the one wearing it.
- Despite the plot line stating the episode is set during the Jurassic period, it is actually set in the Cretaceous period, although some dinosaurs from the Jurassic (Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, and Compsognathus) appear as well.
- Zera is based on a Torosaurus, which is distinguished from the contemporary Triceratops by an elongate frill with large openings, long squamosal bones of the frill with a trough on their upper surface, and the presence of five or more pairs of hornlets on the back of the frill.
- A study of fossil bone histology combined with an investigation of frill shape concluded that Torosaurus probably represented the mature form of Triceratops.
- Zera is the first female Triceraton to ever appear in the franchise.
- Bebop wears turtle shells as shoulder pads in reference to his original 1987 counterpart.
- Rocksteady wears a green helmet in reference to his original 1987 counterpart.
- When they arrive at the future, Raph has his sai from present time, but the other Turtles still have the weapons they carved back in the past.
- The transforming vehicle "Shellformer" created by Donatello is mostly a reference to the fandom-term for certain Transformers toys known for having alternate modes that are simply hollow shells with robot forms inside.