Donatello is a spiny soft-shell turtle who was mutated to become part human and is the team's resident tech-head. He is one of the main protagonists of the Rise of the TMNT series. Of the Turtles, he is the one with the fewest changes compared to previous incarnations. He wielded a high-tech version of the bō staff but converted to using the traditional staff.
Donatello has jade green skin with purple pixel designs on his upper arms and thighs, a light brown plastron, and a dark brown and green carapace. The bumps of his spine can also be seen from underneath his carapace. Donnie also has a large head, thick black eyebrows, black eyes, three fingers on each hand, and two toes on each foot.
Donnie wears a purple mask that pulls over the top of his head (with short square-cut mask tails), silver convertible goggles with a red and blue lens, and a purple battle shell that fits over his real shell. He also wears purple fingerless gloves with matching socks on his feet, a silver tech-gauntlet with a blue touchscreen, purple elbow and knee pads, and a purple belt with color-matching pouches and Turtle emblem.
Like his previous incarnations, Donnie is the Brains of the Turtles, as well as fairly neurotic. He prefers tech over mystic powers. Donnie also has a tendency to go over the top with his plans, such as desiring uranium for his machines. Donnie can also be passive-aggressive; instead of confronting his brothers about their bad habits, he made "gifts" that would force his brothers to give up their habits.
Unlike his previous incarnations, Donnie is more reckless as he is stated to be an adrenaline junkie. Donnie is very sarcastic; he usually insults his brother especially when he's not in the mood for their company. He’s very cocky and loves to show off. He is constantly annoyed when his brothers don’t listen and/or appreciate his intelligence. He sometimes relies on his tech more than ninja training which applies to his brothers as well. Donnie is also crazy and would most likely snap when he doesn’t get his way. On top of that, he is also obsessive and stubborn if he's determined to get what he wants.
Donnie can also be irresponsible, such as putting blame on his mistakes or denying the responsibility of his actions. But aside from that, Donnie is shown to have a bit of a softer spot towards his brothers, especially with Mikey.
Despite himself believing to be an emotionless bad boy, Donnie is actually quite a softie and gets emotional very quickly. He longs for validation and praise, especially from adults. In "Turtle-dega Nights: The Ballad of Rat Man" Donnie was beyond excited to spend some time with Splinter in a father-son car competition. However Splinter had lied about his intent, which was to enter the Turtle Tank in a Yōkai demolition derby, and Donnie was genuinely upset and hurt by this deception.
Donnie is musically-gifted as he can sing and can play musical instruments such as the guitar and the saxophone. He also has a passion for dancing as seen with his password being "Bootyyyshaker9000". It is a possibility that his former password is now his username as it is subtlety hinted in "The Purple Game".
In "Donnie vs. Witch Town", Donnie is shown to be quite skeptical when it comes to magic. He does everything he can to prove to the witches that science is superior to magic.
Like his brothers, Donatello began his life as a baby turtle in Baron Draxum's laboratory. Wishing to make mutant soldiers, the Baron used Lou Jitsu's DNA to mutate Donatello into an anthropomorphic Turtle. He was taken from the lab by Lou Jitsu, along with his brothers.
At some point in his life, he built his tech bo staff.
Donatello is the coolest tech wiz ever! Being a soft-shell turtle may be a drawback in the ninja world, but with his series of battle shells and transforming bō staffs, Donnie can take on any foe!
- Ninjutsu: Being raised by Splinter, Donatello, like the rest of his brother, is skilled in the ways of ninjutsu.
- Stealth: As a practitioner of ninjutsu, Donatello can slip and out of areas undetected.
- Ninja Mind Meld: Donatello can merge minds with his brothers, share plans instantaneously.
- Ninpo: By tapping into the Hamato family energy, Donatello can unleash his own mystic might.
- Weapon Generation: Using ninpo, Donnie uses random objects to form weaponry, namely, a bo staff.
- Tech Formation: Using his ninpo, Donnie can create or link with variations of his inventions, even improving them.
- Strength (Due To Mutation)
- Speed (Due To Mutation)
- Animal Communication: In "Todd Scouts", after Splinter took away his tech, Donnie gains the ability to communicate with the forest animals as seen when he made the treehouse with their help and when Donnie tells the animals to burn down the treehouse.
- Raphael: With Raph being his older brother, Don has a unique relationship with him that he doesn't have with the others. He finds Raph to be a bit crazy, but he loves him all the same, and respects him. Raph treats him very gently and has trouble telling him off (as shown in Donnie's Gifts), which may spoil Donnie a bit. Raph considers him as his "3rd favorite brother" (Lair Games).
- Leonardo: Despite them being the middle brothers, Leo and Donnie don't get along very well, with Donnie hating Leo's motormouth remarks (even trying to get rid of them in Donnie's Gifts) and crazy schemes, and Leo thinking Don needs to loosen up. They do love each other though, and will always have each others' back.
- Michelangelo: He cares a lot about Mikey, as all of the brothers do, and has had a minor adventure with him (Repo Mantis). They seem to get along very well, and also Donnie is exceptionally close to Mikey. He thinks Mikey needs to stop jumping around recklessly or he might get hurt as seen in (Donnie's Gifts). Mikey considers Donnie as his "2nd favorite brother" (Lair Games).
- Splinter: Has a love-hate relationship with. Usually punishes Splinter for doing something bad by forcing him to watch educational shows for a certain period of time. However, it is shown in "Turtle-dega Nights: The Ballad Of Rat Man" that he deeply desires Splinter's attention and will forgo his typical logical approach just to spend time with him.
- S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N.: Donnie initially created S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. to do chores for him and his brothers. However, as time went by, Donnie appeared to grow more attached to S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N., having to form a father/son like relationship.
- April O'Neil: April and Donnie are close friends, prone to feeding off of each others' adrenaline highs and going on crazy adventures (War and Pizza, The Purple Jacket). They also seem to argue a lot but in a slightly moderate degree.
- Todd Capybara:
- Marcus Moncrief:
- Red Fox:
- Baron Draxum:
- Meat Sweats: He was kidnapped by Meat Sweats, nearly being cooked by the pig mutant, but was saved by his brothers.
- Warren Stone:
- Foot Clan:
- Shredder: Donnie has shown deep fear of the Shredder. At the docks, Shredder destroyed his tech including his Battleshell, and was about to slash him until a napkin was thrown into Shredder's eyes. He has also shown fear near the end of "Many Unhappy Returns" when he was shivering in fear.
- Foot Recruit:
- Albearto: He created the upgrades that turned Albearto evil, but denies this and claims he has no memory of doing so.
- Repo Mantis: He and Michelangelo bargained (later stole) the Jupiter Jim Moon Buggy (later modified into the Turtle-Tank) from Repos's Scrapyard.
- Purple Dragons: He attempts to join them to get a cool jacket and they stole his tech.
- Kendra: She refers to him as "Othello Von Ryan". The two actually share the same sharp banter and relatively inflated ego. She blew him a kiss while sending his battle shell against him. Kendra later tricked him into piloting a robot that attacked New York and his brothers.
- Big Mama: Big Mama was apparently the first parent aged adult to compliment his work.
- Donnie is a soft-shell turtle, which means that he may have a more sensitive shell than his brothers, as well as previous incarnations of the character.
- To compensate for his soft shell, he built an entire fleet of battle shells.
- This Donatello is the third version of the character to have an artificial carapace. The first is the Image version, whose shell was shattered from a high fall, but whose life was saved by a shape-shifting A.I. who, among its various forms, fashioned an artificial shell. The second is the IDW version, whose carapace is prosthetic after having lost his original biological one.
- He's the most mature member of the team.
- He's stated to be a little bit more confident than previous incarnations and he knows he's good at what he does.
- Donnie is revealed to be an adrenaline enthusiast.
- Donnie is the only turtle to have visible eyebrows. According to "Lair Games" he has drawn them on for nine years.
- Donnie is prone to cracking when annoyed, shown when Mikey kept interrupting him to the point of passive-aggressiveness in "Shell in a Cell".
- Donnie also tends to not think things through when he is excited.
- In "Mascot Melee" he kept forgetting that he and his brothers had to deal with crooks because one of them was dressed as his childhood idol Atomic Lass.
- In "Mystic Library" he was so excited to be in the enormous library from the Hidden City that he forgot to keep his voice down, resulting in him being locked up in the kiddie room.
- In "Turtle-dega Nights: The Ballad of Rat Man" he was oblivious to the fact that Splinter brought him and Mikey to a demolition derby due to him being overeager to spend time with his dad.
- Donnie is the first turtle to be seen without his mask.
- Donnie has a peculiar fear of beach balls, showing that he has some form of sfairesphobia.
- Donnie has previously worn glasses when he was younger.
- Donnie is the only turtle that doesn't have any mystic powers due to the fact he doesn't have a mystic weapon of his own.
- Instead of a weapon, he carries a mystic crystal in his goggles, which makes him able to see mystical activities and energy hidden from the naked eye.
- Donnie's field of study revolves around engineering, robotics, and technology.
- Donnie's Tech-Bō is made out of high-grade titanium. He also has a bust of his head made from the same material.
- A running gag is that Donnie's inventions tend to go rogue.
- In "Smart Lair" Donnie made an A.I. robot named S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. to clean up the lair.
- Donnie seems to be very fond of S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N., as he states in "Cloak and Swaggart" that S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N.'s coolant should be changed thrice daily and that he likes a scritch behind one of his nine ears.
- In "Many Unhappy Returns" the prototype of S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. can be seen rolling out of Donnie's battle shell during his fight with the Shredder.
- Donnie apparently has several inventions that are in "beta", such as his FAB (Foam Agent Bonding) spray and his giant drill (as seen in "Donnie's Gifts" and "Stuck on You", respectively).
- Donnie is a huge science-fiction fan.
- As seen in "Mystic Library", Donnie has won the national library competition three years in a row and also owns a platinum library card.
- Due to his love of dancing, Donnie's computer password is "Bootyyyshaker9000".
- This was also used as his username in the Purple Game.
- Donnie can memorize anything in song form, like rapping.
- As mentioned by Raph in "Snow Day", Donnie sings all the musical parts of Jupiter Jim's Pluto Vacation IV.
- Donnie seems to have an admiration of fashionable articles of clothing. This can be said with the Purple Dragons Tech Club's jackets and Sunita's boots.
- Donnie's least favorite animals are monkeys.
- Donnie's catchphrase is "no probbles".
- In "War and Pizza", Donnie stated that his type is "cute and mean"
- The reason Donnie doesn't wear jackets is that they could get caught in the rotors of his battle shell.
- In the episode "Bullhop" Donnie is shown to be able to lip-read, even from a distance.
- As shown in some episodes like "One Man's Junk" and "Lair Games", Donnie can play musical instruments like the guitar and the saxophone.
- As shown in "Air Turtle", Donnie is bad at shooting a basketball to the net.
- As shown in "Donnie vs. Witch Town", Donnie believes that he wouldn't be needed if magic is shown to be superior to science.