Donatello is a softshell turtle who has mutated to become part human, and is the team's resident tech-head. Of the Turtles, he is the one with the fewest changes compared to previous incarnations. He wields a high-tech version of his traditional bō, which is a "transforming tech-bo".
Donatello has jade green skin with purple pixel designs painted on his upper arms and thighs, a light brown plastron and dark brown and green carapace. The bumps of his spine can also be seen from underneath his carapace. Donnie also has a large head (to indicate his intelligence), thick black eyebrows (only when his mask is on), black eyes, three fingers on each hand, and two toes on each foot.
Donnie wears a purple mask that pulls over the top of his head (with short square-cut mask tails), silver convertible goggles with a red and blue lens and a purple battle shell that fits over his real shell. He also wears purple fingerless gloves with matching socks on his feet, a silver tech-gauntlet with a blue touchscreen, purple elbow and knee pads, and a purple belt with color-matching pouches and Turtle emblem.
Like his previous incarnations, Donnie is the Brains of the Turtles, as well as fairly neurotic. He prefers tech over mystic powers. Donnie also has a tendency to go over the top with his plans, such as desiring uranium for his machines. Donnie can also be passive aggressive; instead of confronting his brothers about their bad habits, he made "gifts" that would force his brothers to give up their habits.
Unlike his previous incarnations, Donnie is more reckless as he is stated to be a adrenaline junkie. He’s very cocky and loves to show off. He is constantly annoyed when his brothers don’t listen and/or appreciate his intelligence. Donnie is also crazy and would most likely to snap when he doesn’t get his way.
Donnie can also be irresponsible, such as putting blame on his mistakes or denying the responsibility of his actions. But aside from that, Donnie is shown to have a bit of a softer spot towards his brothers, especially with Mikey.
Like his brothers, Donatello began his life as a baby turtle in Baron Draxum's laboratory. Wishing to make mutant soldiers, the Baron used Lou Jitsu's DNA to mutate Donatello into an anthropomorphic Turtle. He was taken from the lab by Lou Jitsu, along with his brothers.
At some point in his life,he built his tech bo staff.
Donatello is the coolest tech wiz ever! Being a soft-shell turtle may be a drawback in the ninja world, but with his series of battle shells and transforming bō staffs, Donnie can take on any foe!
- Strength (Due To Mutation)
- Speed (Due To Mutation)
- Leonardo: Despite them being the middle brothers, Leo and Donnie don't get along very well, with Donnie hating Leo's motormouth remarks (even trying to get rid of them in Donnie's Gifts) and crazy schemes, and Leo thinking Don needs to loosen up. They do love each other though, and will always have each others' back.
- Raphael: With Raph being his only older brother, Don has a unique relationship with him that he doesn't have with the others. He finds Raph to be a bit crazy, but he loves him all the same, and respects him. Raph treats him very gently and has trouble telling him off (as shown in Donnie's Gifts), which may spoil Donnie a bit.
- Michelangelo: He cares a lot about Mikey, as all of the brothers do, and has had a minor adventure with him (Repo Mantis). They seem to get along very well.
- Splinter: Has a love-hate relationship with. Usually punishes Splinter of doing something bad by forcing him to watch educational shows for a certain period of time
- April O'Neil: April and Donnie are close friends, prone to feeding off of each others' adrenaline highs and going on crazy adventures (War and Pizza, The Purple Jacket).
- Todd Capybara:
- Baron Draxum:
- Meat Sweats: He was kidnapped by Meat Sweats, nearly being cooked by the pig mutant, but was saved by his brothers.
- Warren Stone: Donnie seems to be the the only one out of his brothers who recognizes and remembers him.
- Foot Clan:
- Albearto: He created the upgrades that turned Albearto evil.
- Repo Mantis:
- Purple Dragons: He attempts to join them to get a cool jacket and they stole his tech.
- Big Mama:
- "Based on our entry angle and velocity, I concur - we rad!" - After the cannonball.
- "We are just typical humans who are just going about our typical everyday human lives. Nailed it." - meeting the joggers.
- "Told you guys I was the funniest."
- "Note to you, next time make your weapons out of high-grade titanium."
- "Nah, I'm good. (I'll never let you go.)" - To his Tech-Bo, when asked if he wants a magical weapon.
- "URANIUM! Oh we should absolutely ask for uranium!" - When deciding what he wants from Splinter.
- "Oh, you're going to get squat from Splinter without ol' Donnie - NOT WITHOUT OLD DONNIE - I'm the brains of this operation!" - When quarantined with rat flu.
- "Oh my banana pancakes!" - Mrs. Cuddles
- "I'm afraid of togetherness..." - Mrs. Cuddles
- "Oh dear. GASP. It is Mrs. Cuddles. Nice try Raph, come on out." - Mrs. Cuddles
- "I got big silver, small silver, and I can make it rain copper, daddy." - Repo Mantis
- "Stop! It's not that! It's... It's Bootyyyshaker9000. Capital B and three y's in "booty." - Stuck on You
- "What? You know I love to dance! Not gonna apologize for that!" - Stuck on You
- "You're so cute! But so mean! Why do I always go for your type?!" - War and Pizza
- ”Prepare to eateth thy words.” - A Smart Lair
- "If I am to perish, tell the truth, brethren. You reprogrammed him! No hard feelings, I promise." - A Smart Lair
- "Hard feelings! MASSIVE HARD FEELINGS" - A Smart Lair
- "New York, what a town." - Late Fee
- "OH. FAB-O BOOOOTS." - Operation: Normal
- "OH NO YA DONT. GRANDMAS HERE." - Operation: Normal
- "Short answer: No. Long answer: No~..." - Operation: Normal
- Donnie's field of study revolves around engineering, robotics, and technology.
- Donnie is a softshell turtle, which means that he may have a more sensitive shell than his brothers, as well as previous incarnations of the character.
- To compensate for his soft shell, he built an entire fleet of battle shells.
- This Donatello is the third version of the character to have an artificial carapace. The first is the Image version, whose shell was shattered from a high fall, but whose life was saved by a shape-shifting artificial intelligence who, among its various forms, fashioned an artificial shell. The second is the IDW version, whose carapace is prosthetic after having lost his original biological one.
- He's stated to be a little bit more confident than previous incarnations and he knows he's good at what he does.
- He's the most mature member of the team.
- Donnie is a huge science-fiction fan.
- Donnie has a drone "sidekick" named Sheldon along with many other battle shells that he makes in order to help him in battle because of his species.
- Donnie is revealed to be an adrenaline enthusiast.
- Donnie's least favorite animals are monkeys.
- Donnie's Tech-Bō is made out of high-grade titanium.
- Donnie is the only turtle to have visible eyebrows.
- Unlike previous incarnations in which Donnie is the the middle & second youngest, this version of Donnie is the second oldest of the four Turtles.
- Donnie is prone to cracking when annoyed, shown when Mikey kept interrupting him to the point of passive aggressiveness, as shown in episodes like "Shell in a Cell".
- He's the only turtle that doesn't have any mystic powers due to the fact he doesn't have a mystic weapon of his own.
- These are the following modes of Donnie's Tech-Bō:
- Giant mallet/hammer
- Dual rocket-propelled staff
- Selfie stick
- Giant drill head
- Buzz saw
- Laser gun
- Tranquilizer dart gun
- Donnie apparently has several inventions that are in "beta", such as his FAB (Foam Agent Bonding) spray and his giant drill (as seen in "Stuck on You" and "Donnie's Gifts", respectively).
- Due to his love of dancing, Donnie's computer password is "Bootyyyshaker9000".
- Donnie is the first turtle to be seen without his mask.
- When not wearing the mask, his eyebrows are not seen, indicating that they may be drawn on.
- The reason Donnie doesn't wear jackets is because it could get caught in the rotors of his Battle Shell and S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N.
- Donnie's catch phrase is "No Probbles".
- In War and Pizza, Donnie stated that his type of girl is "cute & mean"
- A running gag is that Donnie's inventions tend to go rogue.
- In the episode "Bullhop" Donnie could lip read, even from a distance.
- Donnie has a peculiar fear of beach balls.