|“Casey Jones - Outlaw Hero”|
|Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode|
|Original airdate||October 25, 1989|
|Written by||David Wise|
"Casey Jones - Outlaw Hero" is an episode of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1987 cartoon series.
Crimes are committed - a mugging, a bakery robbery and a nighttime burglary at a sports store - and all are dealt with by a mysterious man named Casey Jones, who wears a hockey mask and vows that "all lawbreakers" will be punished. Afterwards, Burne Thompson wakes April in the middle of the night with news of the vigilante attacks, and demands she cover it.
The Turtles are heading up to the surface to get pepperoni when Jones spots them and attacks. He eventually concludes that they aren't criminals, but that they are Martians (which he finds terrifying, apparently).
In the Technodrome, Krang is showing off his newest invention: a mechanical bug that can control any machinery. He's planning to use them to create the Supersize Knucklehead, so Rocksteady and Bebop let the bugs loose in the street.
The Turtles find Jones harassing a homeless man and stop him, but he gets away. Raphael doesn't see why Jones is their business, but Donatello points out that since he knows kung-fu, comes out of the sewers and fights crime, people will blame his activities on them.
While April is covering the vigilante, a bug causes her motorcycle to come to life and buzz around her. Fortunately the Turtles arrive to drive it off, only for all the cars on the street to start driving themselves around and appliances to chase people down the street. Unfortunately, this is also happening in high-tech labs, where the equipment starts building the supersize Knucklehead.
But just as a fridge is about to crush Michelangelo and Donatello, Jones rushes in and smashes all the runaway appliances. Donatello spots the mechanical bug clinging to one of the machines, and the Turtles follow it in hopes of locating Shredder. Unfortunately, it only crashes the Turtle Van into a lake, since Donatello's equipment had been infiltrated by a bug.
They use the Porta-Tracker to locate the place where Shredder and Krang are, and arrive just in time to see the "giant economy-sized Knucklehead," driven by Krang. Jones chases the Knucklehead down the street, climbs on board and begins attacking it with a hammer, while the Turtles are left to deal with the wild machines.
They manage to make it to Shredder, who has the remote control for the bugs. Donatello summons all the bugs and commands them to infest the Knucklehead. Jones smashes a hole in the side, and throws the remote inside at Donatello's command. The bugs cause the Knucklehead to go berserk and start attacking its pilot, before exploding. The villains escape once again, but the Turtles are satisfied by the outcome. Casey Jones vanishes without another word.
- Leonardo (Cam Clarke)
- Donatello (Barry Gordon)
- Raphael (Rob Paulsen)
- Michelangelo (Townsend Coleman)
- Splinter (Peter Renaday)
- April O'Neil (Renae Jacobs)
- Shredder (James Avery)
- Krang (Pat Fraley)
- Bebop (Barry Gordon)
- Rocksteady (Cam Clarke)
- Burne Thompson (Pat Fraley)
- Vernon Fenwick (Peter Renaday)
- Casey Jones (Pat Fraley) (debut)
- Bakery Thief (Barry Gordon)
- Street Mugger (Peter Renaday)
- First Sports Store Robber (Rob Paulsen)
- Second Sports Store Robber (Pat Fraley)
Home media releases
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 4
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 3
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection
- This marks the first appearance of Casey Jones in the 1987 series.
- Casey Jones' voice is patterned after Clint Eastwood's renegade cop Dirty Harry Callahan. This is reinforced when Jones says words like dirtbag and punk and utters the line "Go ahead, make my night". A play on the famous quote, "Go ahead, make my day." It is also explicitly referenced when Raphael says that Casey has been watching too many "Filthy Harry" movies.
- Splinter does not appear in this episode.
- This episode features one of many fourth wall breaks when, after jumping off a subway car, Bebop and Rocksteady instruct the audience not to try it at home.
- Casey used two bats when he smashed up the appliances, but was seen with his sledgehammer in his right hand after he freed the Turtles from the refrigerator.
- When Krang orders the robots to build the Super Knucklehead, Krang and Shredder start to laugh but strangely enough, no sound is heard from Shredder's laughter.
- Leonardo: "Alright Shredder, Hand over that control box!!"
- Shredder: "To you?! Never!!!"
- Donatello: Quit stalling, Hand it over!!
- Raphael: You heard him "chrome-for-brains"!!!
- Raphael: Who appointed you judge jury and executioner?
- Casey Jones: This city's a cesspool of crime. Somebody's gotta clean it up! And that someone is me!
- Casey Jones: Not even mutant criminals can stop Casey Jones!
- Raphael: This guy's seen too many Filthy Harry movies!
- Leonardo: Casey, you wanna fight criminals? Well Shredder is the biggest criminal of all!
- Raphael: Besides which, he also ripped off your costume idea!
- Casey Jones: Trademark infringement? How low can ya get?
- Leonardo: Casey was a strange guy. Reckless, dangerous and totally violent!
- Raphael: Yeah, I liked him too!