Some TMNT stuff really isn't for little kids.
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an animated crossover released on DVD, Blu-Ray, Digital, and 4K Ultra HD on the spring of 2019. It had a premiere showing at Wondercon Anaheim on March 31st, 2019.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came to Gotham City to learn that the Foot Clan and their leader the Shredder, are working with the League of Assassins and the Joker to put Gotham into a state of Mutation. Leaving Batman himself to investigate the criminal activity of the Foot and partner up with the Turtles to prevent the outcome.
- Alfred (Brian George)
- Bane (Carlos Alazraqui)
- Batgirl (Rachel Bloom)
- Batman (Troy Baker)
- Baxter Stockman (Keith Ferguson)
- Commissioner Gordon (Jim Meskimen)
- Donatello (Baron Vaughn)
- Harley Quinn (Tara Strong)
- Joker (Troy Baker)
- Leonardo (Eric Bauza)
- Michelangelo (Kyle Mooney)
- Mr. Freeze (John DiMaggio)
- Penguin (Tom Kenny)
- Poison Ivy (Tara Strong)
- Raphael (Darren Criss)
- Ra's al Ghul (Cas Anvar)
- Robin (Ben Giroux)
- Scarecrow (Jim Meskimen)
- Shredder (Andrew Kishino)
- Two Face (Keith Ferguson)
While touring at Powers Industrial, Barbara Gordon witnesses a powerful generator being stolen by the Foot Clan and also spots four meta-humans during the robbery. She relays the information to Batman, who fights the Foot Clan at Wayne Enterprises before he is defeated by the Shredder. The four meta-humans Batgirl was referring to are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who have arrived in Gotham to stop Shredder's schemes and find out who his new ally is. After defending Wayne Enterprises from Penguin, the Turtles meet Batman in an alleyway and proceed to fight him as both sides believe the other is working with Shredder. The Turtles are forced to retreat when Batman gains the upper hand on them with his superior fighting prowess.
After researching Batman and his reported locations, Donatello manages to lead the Turtles into the Batcave, where they have a brief scuffle with Robin. After Batman and Batgirl arrive, the Turtles introduce themselves and offer their assistance to the Bat Family when they realize they have the same goal. Robin reveals to the group that Shredder is working with Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins. In exchange for the secrets of the Lazarus Pit, Shredder and his subordinates aid Ra's in building a machine that will throw Gotham into chaos by infecting everyone in the city with mutagen and the Joker's venom. The two break into Arkham Asylum, where Joker gives them the formula for his venom in exchange for a canister of mutagen.
The Bat Family and the Turtles are alerted of an incident in Arkham Asylum by Commissioner Gordon, where they discover that Joker has used the mutagen to transform all of the inmates and himself into mutant animals. The heroes face off against the mutated rogue's gallery, and Joker injects Batman with the mutagen and venom combination to turn him into an unhinged mutant bat. After defeating Joker, the heroes use Batgirl and Donatello's retro-mutagen to cure Batman and the inmates, but realize that it was all a distraction for Shredder and Ra's al Ghul to get the Wayne Enterprises cloud seeder from Penguin.
As Batman recovers in the Batcave, the two teams find out that their villains are launching their machine at the Ace Chemicals plant. Batman initially orders the Turtles to leave Gotham due to their impulsiveness, but Raphael convinces him that they're better off working together to learn from their mistakes. The two groups manage to take down most of the Foot Clan and League of Assassins before confronting Shredder and Ra's al Ghul. Leonardo defeats Ra's, Batman and Raphael take down Shredder, and Donatello and Michelangelo destroy the machine before it activates. The debris from the ensuing explosion knocks Shredder into a vat of chemicals and blows up the plant. Before the Turtles depart Gotham, Batman treats the heroes to pizza.
In a post-credits scene, Shredder is revealed to have survived the explosion. He now strongly resembles Joker and starts laughing maniacally.
PENGUIN: Do I have to kill everything myself? (opens fire at the turtles)
LEONARDO: Take him down! We need answers.
MICHELANGELO: (attacking Batman) THINK FAST!
PIZZA DELIVERY GIRL: That should be everything. Can you handle all that? It's a lot of pizza.
RAPHAEL: You're gonna wanna get that Anti-Ooze away from this happily mutated turtle.
MICHELANGELO: Dudes! I'm freaking out here! Did everyone else know that Batman is Bruce Wayne?
LEONARDO: (lies on the floor outmatched) How?
DONATELLO: We have to shut it down!
DONATELLO: Let's keep in touch. (opens his T-Phone)
RAPHAEL: You're tough, little guy. I respect that. (extends his left fist)
MICHELANGELO: Alfred, I'm very sorry about before. So to make it up to you... (he kneels down) Please accept my skateboard.
- This is the first Batman project where one person voices both Batman and the Joker.
- According to the map that the Ninja Turtles used to register the targets of the Foot Clan, before Powers Industrial other facilities of S.T.A.R. Labs and LexCorp were also assaulted by the Foot Ninjas.
- This is the third Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film to receive a PG-13 rating from the MPAA after the 2014 live-action film and its sequel.
- This is also the first Nickelodeon animated movie, as well as the first animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, to be rated PG-13.
- This is the first collaboration between Warner Bros. and Nickelodeon.
- This is the third feature-length animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film after the 2007 theatrical computer-animated film and the 2009 multiverse television film Turtles Forever.
- Thus, it is also the second traditionally-animated TMNT film after Turtles Forever.
- The animation design for the Ninja Turtles in this film is loosely based on their counterparts from the 2003 TV series while Shredder's animation design is loosely inspired by his counterparts from both the 1987 TV series and the 1990 live-action film.
- The Shredder's entrance is even similar to his first encounter with the Turtles in the 1990 film.
- This marks the second production after the SDCC 2016 short Turtles Take Time (and Space) in which Leo and Raph are voiced by Eric Bauza and Darren Criss, respectively.
- The black and white opening credits sequence may be a nod to the original Mirage's TMNT comics, which were mostly monochromatic.
- When Batman stomps on Michelangelo's foot while they fight and the latter screams "Ow! My toes!", this is a callback to the video game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, where the Ninja Turtles shouted this phrase whenever they received a hit right on their feet.
- Among Batman's legacy costumes in the Batcave, was one based on the original design of the character from Bob Kane, before it was redesigned heavily for print by Bill Finger.
- Donnie says "Bosa Nova" when firing from one of the cannons from The Battleshell. It is the same quote he uses when he first appears in the 1990 film.