April O'Neil is a teenage girl with black eyes, thick eyelashes and curly burgundy hair with bangs worn in two high buns. She often wears a pair of red cat-eye glasses with yellow lenses.
April wears a black choker around her neck, a long yellow t-shirt and a green varsity jacket with quarter sleeves, pale green trim and stripes, single button, and an "5" logo over the jacket‘s heart and back. She also wears navy blue leggings and yellow sneakers.
April is very upbeat, sassy, and much louder than her previous incarnations. She is also aggressive and quick to jump into action, showing that she also has more spunk, confidence, and spirit.
April is shown to be incredibly brave as seen in "The Gumbus" when she was enjoying the whole fiasco in the Stock 'n' Shop while Mikey and Leo were freaking out. In "War and Pizza", April is very determined and would never give up as seen when she tries to get through Timmy's birthday without any disruptions.
Despite this, she can be rude at times. Like in "The Fast and the Furriest" when Donnie accuses her of stealing the Turtle Tank and, being annoyed by them breaking in and being accused of something she didn't do, uses a bat to get them out via the window.
April is always helpful as seen when she uses her birthday wish to help Warren Stone save Hypno-Potamus. Even though she was betrayed by Warren, she is quite forgiving when she decides to save him from Baron Draxum with the help of Hypno-Potamus. April is also selfless as she decides to cut off Warren's arm which contains the gauntlet for the sake of Hypno-Potamus.
In "Always Be Brownies", April has some insecurities as seen when she was trying to sell cookies but can't due to her passive-aggressive approach.
April is a true New Yorker and a real firecracker: upbeat, wisecracking, and confident. As the Turtles' only ally, she loves them like brothers—and along with her pet, Mayhem joins them on all their epic adventures.
She's quite agile and powerful on her own. Her fighting style screams out Street Fighting. She also has a natural talent for improvisation. April has also showcased several ninja skills, such as blending in with her surroundings, acrobatics, and showing some signs of being knowledgeable about ninjutsu.
- Baseball Bat: Her main weapon. It was a normal bat until the events of "Donnie vs. Witch Town", wherein it was infused with the magic inside Gentry's miniature cauldron, thus becoming a mystic weapon.
- Giant Spatula: Used in an online motion comic to attack Meat Sweats.
- Smack-a-Vole mallet: Used in "War and Pizza" to attack animatronic voles animated by Albearto.
- Green staff: Used in "Mystic Mayhem" to attack Huginn and Muninn.
- Makeshift "bow and arrows": Used in "The Gumbus" to attack the robotic Gumbus; they are made out of a rolling pin and sausages, respectively.
- Ring Blade: "Borrowed" from Hypno-Potamus in "Warren & Hypno, Sitting in a Tree", and used to cut off Warren Stone's arm which contained a gauntlet.
- Mop: Used in "Always Be Brownies" when she was fighting the Brownie Clan.
- Tray: Used in "Always Be Brownies" during her battle against Julia.
- Carol O'Neil: Her mother. Their relationship in depth is currently unknown as of "The Purple Game".
- Mr. O'Neil: Her father. Their relationship in depth is currently unknown.
Friends and Allies
- Leonardo: Leo is second April's best friend. They are closed in some adventures ("Operation: Normal", "Insane in the Mama Train") also Leo and Mikey both like to play with her ("The Gumbus").
- Donatello: April and Donnie are close friends, though they do seem to argue usually, if only to a slightly moderate degree ("War and Pizza", "The Purple Jacket").
- Raphael: They have a good relationship. Raph, as the leader, takes care of her.
- Michelangelo: Mikey really loves April. Their relationship is actually stronger even than Leo and Donnie. Also Leo and Mikey both like to play With April ("The Gumbus").
- Splinter: They share great alchemy and trust for one another.
- Mayhem: Mayhem becomes her pet and closest companion so far. They deeply care about each other.
- Sunita: She is April's friend and lab partner for biology. Like April, Sunita also wants some "normalcy" in her life, despite being a Yōkai.
- Baron Draxum: They started off as enemies throughout Season 1. As seen in the episode "Repairin' the Baron", Draxum became April's upstairs neighbor and became a cafeteria chef in April's school.
- Meat Sweats:
- Baxter Stockboy:
- Warren Stone: April is a fan of Warren Stone, and has been part of the Warren Stone Fan Club since 2010, even after he deliberately put her and the Turtles in danger.
- Albearto: April fought Albearto when he came to life and terrorized several children at Timmy’s birthday party.
- Hypno-Potamus: April confronted Hypno-Potamus during his attempt to make her high school disappear, though she later helped him rescue his "best friend/roommate/it’s complicated", Warren Stone.
- Kendra: April has known Kendra since Kindergarten. Their full personal history is unknown, though it is heavily implied that they hate one another.
- Foot Clan: April was unwittingly working for them as an employee of the Foot Shack. However, upon learning the true nature of her employers, she aided Splinter in his attempt to keep a piece of the Kuroi Yōroi out of the Foot’s possession.
- "Game on!"
- "Aprillllll O'Neil!" (Her catchphrase, often heard before she charges into battle)
- "Hey, Mayhem. Now that's a cute name!" - "Mystic Mayhem"
- "That's enough! I just need him to sing 'Happy Birthday' and quiet the kids down so I don't get fired." - "War and Pizza"
- "That was fast. Actually, I just needed Donnie." - "War and Pizza"
- "Hi, Donnie! You have nine seconds to tell me why you just broke my door.” - "The Fast and the Furriest"
- "Is anybody there?!" - "Mrs. Cuddles"
- "Is my acting that bad?" - "Mrs. Cuddles"
- "Man, wish I could fight with the fam!" - "Shadow of Evil"
- "No. I've seen weird, and that is not it. I'm April." - "Operation: Normal"
- "Best birthday ever~!" - "Warren and Hypno, Sitting in a Tree"
- This version of April marks the second time she is unambiguously portrayed as black in a licensed TMNT work, and the first time a version of her primary character model is portrayed as such. The original version of April O'Neil in the Mirage continuity was inspired by co-creator Kevin Eastman's former wife, the late April Fisher, who was a biracial woman. The fictional April's earliest appearances were in a state of flux, with her first and second appearances in TMNT vs. the Mousers and The Great Chase appearing caucasian, but her third appearance in Rescuing Master Splinter portrayed her more closely resembling the real-life Fisher and with a more ambiguous racial appearance. April's character model would soon stabilize into a black-haired Caucasian woman, with the exception of the colorized second printing of the Guest Era story Egyptian Adventure where she was portrayed as black. While other incarnations of April would change certain details such as her hair color, they were all portrayed with a Caucasian primary character model until the version of her character designed for Rise of the TMNT.
- This is also the first time April is changed from Caucasian to African-American.
- This is the second teenage incarnation of April after the 2012 incarnation of her.
- In this incarnation, April has a pet mutant named Mayhem.
- A running gag in this series is April having a different job almost every time she appears, with her period of employment usually ending by, or before, the end of an episode.
- According to one of her official character bios, April is revealed to have a job at a pizza shop, which is how the Turtles get their pizzas in this series.
- The Turtles also get a friends and family discount because of their connection to April.
- It is unclear, however, if this is actually the case in the series itself, as the Turtles are shown frequenting Run of the Mill Pizza, whose staff and main patrons all seem to be mutants or yokai.
- She gets fired from her job at a restaurant called Albearto's after the events of "War and Pizza".
- In "Mrs. Cuddles", April works as an actress on Mrs. Cuddles' television program.
- In "Shadow of Evil", April works at a shoe store called the Foot Shack.
- According to one of her official bios, April loves the Turtles like brothers.
- According to the Junior Novel "Ninja Power", April is 16 years old and she has known the Turtles for 5 years.
- As revealed in "Warren and Hypno, Sitting in a Tree", April has been a member of the Warren Stone Fan Club since 2010.
- As mentioned by Donnie in "Operation: Normal", April seems to have a fear of cosplay wizards.
- As shown in "The Purple Game", April has shown to be skilled in video games.
- Also shown in "The Purple Game", April lives with her mother.
- April apparently has a crane license.
- Even though she isn't a member of the Turtles, she tends to act like the second-in-command to Raphael.
- ↑ https://www.teenagemutantninjaturtles.com/2017/11/09/april-ethnicity-promotes-diversity/
"Not only will she be played by a black actress, but reports indicate that she will also apparently be a black character in the cartoon."
"April O’Neil is Black – Although the character has traditionally been depicted as a redhead, Nickelodeon has decided to give her a slightly different background this time around."
- ↑ https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Power-Teenage-Mutant-Turtles/dp/0525707654