Some TMNT stuff really isn't for little kids.
In the IDW continuity, Alopex is a female mutant arctic fox first appearing in the Micro-Series issue for Raphael. Originally mutated to serve the Shredder, she eventually rebelled and became an ally of the Turtles. After moving to Mutant Town she opened ups her own shelter. She and Raphael became a couple after he made up with his brothers. Six month later after Spinter's death and she turtles founded their own clan and built their dōjō right next to her shelter.
Alopex was born an ordinary arctic fox outside of Fairbanks, Alaska. She proved herself deadly from an early age, serving as her pack's main hunter. She was both feared and respected by all other creatures in the area, save for a polar bear (who was the only being Alopex feared). This life continued until she was captured by a group of scientists attempting an experiment to bring other animals to human-level intelligence. In Alopex's case, the experiment was a success, first granting her human intelligence and then a human-like body. She was rescued from the laboratory by the Foot Clan's leader the Shredder and became an agent of the Foot Clan, believing it gave her life a purpose again.
In her first appearance, she attempted to trick Raphael into showing her where their lair was so that the Foot Clan could find them and kill them. Fortunately, Raphael caught onto her scheme and fought her. She escaped the fight, and later clashed with the Turtles several times from the Shredder's side.
Although Alopex served the Foot Clan faithfully, she still had some attachment to her old home and family. Seemingly aware of this, the Shredder sent her back to Fairbanks while he had the forest burned down as a test of loyalty. Alopex attacked the Shredder, although she quickly surrendered and professed her ultimate loyalty to the Foot Clan. However, comparing the Shredder to the bear that had been the bane of her existence in her earlier life, she secretly swore that she would one day kill him.
During a fight between the Shredder and Splinter, Alopex finally attacked her master. She did not succeed in killing him, however, and was shot in the arm by the Shredder's granddaughter Oroku Karai, who up to that point had considered Alopex an ally and friend.
Although injured, Alopex managed to survive and escape. She followed the Turtles, accompanied by April O'Neil and Casey Jones, to the home of April's parents, as they believed they were no longer safe in New York after the Foot had taken over the city's criminal underworld. Raphael was the first to notice her and attacked her, believing her to still be allied with the Foot. Leonardo intervened, and a fight broke out between the brothers. After Alopex explained her situation, Splinter offered a truce with her. Alopex declined saying she did not need his or his sons' help, but she remained close to their new home. Alopex would later change her mind and joined the Turtles as a resident of the O'Neil Farm. She even became friendly with Raphael, but this quickly changed when a group of Foot Assassins attacked the Turtles. Believing Alopex to still be loyal to the Foot Clan, Raphael attacked her. However, after she saved Raphael from being attacked by one of the Foot Assassins, he realized she was telling the truth.
Returning to New York thanks to a subliminal suggestion from Kitsune, she observed Angel Bridge, a.k.a. Nobody, from a distance, until she enlisted her help in fighting Bebop and Rocksteady, who were getting into a fight with the Turtles and the Mutanimals. After Bebop and Rocksteady were defeated, Old Hob offered her a place in his army, but she refused, instead teaming up with Nobody to help keep the streets clean of crime.
After Splinter became the leader of the Foot Clan, Alopex helped Leonardo train the new recruits in various martial arts. At the same time, she was helping Nobody and Harold investigate the Street Phantoms. However, Alopex was unaware that Kitsune had been manipulating her mind for a long while, and was forced to fight for the witch without being aware of what she was doing. In the aftermath of Kitsune's attempted assassination of Splinter, Alopex panicked and fled New York City, going straight back to Alaska where she originally came from.
Kitsune's presence followed her, tormenting her, saying that she can never escape her rule. But Raphael and Nobody arrived to help their mutual friend, to the point of Raphael actually establishing a psychic link with her just as Kitsune was about to break her spirit completely. Raphael helped the mutant fox regain her mental strength by reminding her that she's "a mutant ninja fox from New York City" and that she "kicks serious ass".
Alopex found renewed strength from this, and came back to her senses. The purple markings on her face faded to a blue color, signifying the break from Kitsune's control. Delighted to be back with her friends, she accompanied Raphael and Angel back to New York.
|This article or section is incomplete. Some information regarding this topic has not been added. Please help TurtlePedia by finishing this article.|
- Angel Bridge — Alopex's comrade and best friend.
- Harold Lilja — Formerly partnered with Alopex and Angel Bridge, providing a non-combatant role of mission and support as well as creator of Angel's Nobody suit. Harold's trust in the allied characters was damaged beyond repair after Splinter secretly used Harold as bait to lure Foot Clan foe Darius Dun into a vulnerable position. Dun was captured and executed and Harold was freed, but Harold cut ties with every mutant he knew, including Alopex, as well as their human allies.
- Hamato Yoshi / Splinter — From the time Alopex defected from the Foot Clan and allied herself with the turtles, she also allied herself with Splinter. After Splinter killed the Shredder and took over the Foot Clan for his own, Alopex helped Splinter train new Foot Clan recruits. Alopex's second involvement in the Foot Clan ended after she became mind-controlled and abducted by Kitsune. By the time Alopex was rescued by Angel Bridge and Raphael, Splinter's sons had already left the Foot Clan and their father's leadership, and Alopex never rejoined the organization. Splinter did, however, provide Raph and Angel with Foot Clan transportation during their mission to rescue Alopex.
- Raphael — Raphael bonded with Alopex early in the series, when Alopex was still part of the Foot Clan and an enemy of Raph's family. After defecting from the Foot Clan, she became closer to Raph in particular. During the trip to Alaska to find Alopex, Raphael admitted to Angel that he does love Alopex seeing as how "Even when she's a pain in my shell, I just get her" and explaining how he doesn't feel as lonely and lost when she's around. It remained unclear whether the feelings shared between them were romantic until they shared a kiss after Raphael apologized for his behavior since his father's death.
- Kitsune — The ancient witch has proven to be Alopex's most insidious enemy, using her powers to brainwash Alopex into subservience to her, without Alopex's awareness of that fact.
- Oroku Saki — Alopex was initially faithful to Saki and the Foot Clan. However, his destruction of her fox family and the forest she had once lived in caused her to turn against him, and vow to kill him when she had the chance. She actively turned against him in the City Fall arc, when she tried to kill her former master but was thwarted by Karai.
My name... is Alopex. I... Don´t remenber much else.
I have flickerinkg memories of another life... Before... they came. They took me. They wanted to change me... I wasn´t the only animal there. But I was the first animal... to understand what the humans were saying.
I´ll be his greatest warrior. I will fight my way back to his side. But I know who he is. He´s the bear. And this time... I´m going to kill the bear.
Raphael: I feel like I´ve been kinda ignoring you even before we lost my dad. And I´m sorry.
- Alopex's nickname, Al, was previously used in Sophie Campbell's Secrets of the Ooze webcomic. The nickname started being used in IDW TMNT issue #101 when Campbell became the lead writer.